Caring about Vaporware: Project Titan and Why I Don't Care
Oh wow Project Titan got canceled how did that happen what a wonderful and exciting time around here in the gaming news industry as people somehow care. I think Blizzard realized that they’d get more out of the idea of people talking about their failure of an MMO than for them to just release the game at this point or even talk about what it was.
I don’t care. I don’t know why anyone cares. Who cares. Project Titan was vaporware for seven years. It’s pretty obvious what the issue at hand here is let me run you through DAVID’S ULTIMATE TITAN TIMELINE:
- 2007: Project Titan job postings. Blizzard likely was like “recession time y’all we need a product in the works to secure funding.”
- 2008: Recession still going on, please fund this game. It’s gonna be good.
- 2009: Yeah that uh Titan thing going back to the drawing board here guys yeah the game industry seems to like these “free-to-play” things because no one has any money after the recession.
- 2010: Crickets.
- 2011: Yeah uh maybe 2013?
- 2012: Yeah have to go back to the drawing board it seems people don’t like WoW clones who would have thought?
- 2013: Yeah that Project Titan is coming along pretty good guys *heh*
- 2014: Oh no y’all we’re canceling it cuz you know what it started off as a WoW clone then we made it into a shooter MMO but you know Tabula Rasa didn’t work out then it was like an Auto Assault clone but Need for Speed World didn’t adapt so at the end it was MMO Angry Birds and well we might get sued for that so yeah it’s done hey check out our new array of BLIZZARD MOBAS ESPORTS.
As far as I am f’in concerned, Heroes of the Storm is Project Titan. Even if Titan was supposed to be its own IP, it doesn’t matter, HotS meets all the criteria for a new game from them. So I have my titan. I don’t need an MMO.
There is a plethora of random mumblings from Blizzard about how awesome they are canning their vaporware but who cares. I don’t care about a product that wasn’t even explained to me and at this point is just some mythical unicorn running around.
Blizzard is moving to where the money is and for them they have an MMO that is making them money and if they make a new MMO then they obviously just need to make WoW 2 at this point and there is no need for secrecy there considering they’re pretty much going to announce that this year at BlizzCon unless they’re gonna wait a - wait a moment.
Ya that’s what they did everyone. They just canned Project Titan and are probably picking at its corpse for resources for WoW 2 which they’ve probably already spooled up. Think about it, they got a developer team that’s under lock and key with their mouths so shut there hasn’t been a single Titan leak that I’ve seen. Maybe there is and you can tell me in the comments, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything substantial.
So I think this pretty much just affirms that Blizzard hates new IPs, Project Titan was a lifeboat during the recession, and they’re probably going to take whatever tech is developed and the “dream team” and make WoW 2, meanwhile focusing on MOBAs where the money is until the corpse of WoW 1 is decayed so much they NEED a new game to breath life into it.
In the mean time all of us sheeple will be like OH NO ITS GHOSTS ALL OVER AGAIN HOW COULD THIS BE BLIZZARD UR SO AWESOME THANK U SO MUCH FOR CANCELING GAME AND ONLY BRINGING US THE BEST IN WRLD CLASS ETNERTAINMETN!!! PLZ THX UR THE BESTSEST LET ME BUY SOME MORE SPARKLE PONIES.
As a side note every one of my friends is cool enough to be in HOTS and I am the most uncool kid in town. So I guess I care a lot about that, really, why isn't it open alpha or beta yet? Is it maybe desperation builds marketing and that's Blizzard's ENTIRE marketing strategy is to tease you for a few years then let you have it when you'll totally be happy with literally anything?
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our World of Warcraft Game Page.