Single-Planet Business Options
Making stuff on planets is a boring business, in and of itself, though often necessary in order to make certain businesses profitable or to meet certain local supply needs. As prices go up, we will continue to see a trend of interest in making things on planets. The main obstacle to most planetary production is figuring out what to make, based on the available planets and your tolerance for complexity and tedium.
Having each planet in your network be more or less self-contained is a good way to make producing with planets less soul-crushing.
Thus, we have this guide, which is a list of planetary goods that can be produced using only a single planet. With this, you can see what planets you need in order to meet your demands for a particular project.
It is important to keep in mind that if a product can be produced on a single planet, it will probably end up costing less than products that require goods from several different planet types. This list, then, is more useful as a way to fill an existing need. Need some coolant for your POS? Check the list. Finding it difficult to import rocket fuel for your tech two ammunition business? Check the list.
If you don't really know your way around planets, yet, you can check out some of our other Ten Ton Hammer guides on planetary interaction. Even if you do not have a specific material need, you may still find this article useful because of the exposition about the various ways that the planetary materials can be used.
Tiers of Planetary Goods
The tiers are a way of organizing the goods produced on planets. A tier 0 material, officially known as a raw material, is harvested directly from the planet. Tier 0 materials are then usually refined into tier 1 materials, also known as a processed material. Tier 1 materials can than be combined with various other tier 1 materials to produce tier 2 materials, also known as refined commodities. These tier 2 materials can then be combined with other tier 2 materials to make tier 3 materials, also known as specialized commodities. Finally, several tier 3 materials (and sometimes materials from other tiers) may be combined to make tier 4 materials, also known as advanced commodities.
As you can see, it is difficult to keep track of exactly how many steps are needed to make each material, based on the name alone. Thus, I and many others find it far simpler to refer to items by what tier they are at, rather than by the CCP flavor text title.
Why These Lists Are Useful
All of these combinations and permutations need to take place on a planet, and moving something off of or onto a planet costs ISK, depending on what item is being transferred. It can also take a while to get an interplanetary business model organized and functioning, and as mentioned the warping the goods between planetary customs offices gets old, fast.
So it is that most players find it best to have a handful of planets that produce as advanced a material as can be made, on each individual planet, and then to have a single factory planet that combines those materials into more advanced products (if necessary. One should carefully plan all this out in advance rather than throwing things together in a haphazard mess, because it costs ISK to install new extractors and factories. Re-designing one's planets can get expensive, fast.
Raw Products By Planet (P0)
Each of these products refines into a single refined product.
- Barren: Aqueous Liquids, Base Metals, Carbon Compounds, Micro Organisms, Noble Metals.
- Gas: Aqueous Liquids, Base Metals, Ionic Solutions, Noble Gas, Reactive Gas.
- Ice: Aqueous Liquids, Heavy Metals, Micro Organisms, Planktic Colonies, Noble Gas.
- Lava: Base Metals, Felsic Magma, Heavy Metals, Non-CS Crystals, Suspended Plasma.
- Oceanic: Aqueous Liquids, Carbon Compounds, Complex Organisms, Micro Organisms, Planktic Colonies.
- Plasma: Base Metals, Heavy Metals, Noble Metals, Non-CS Crystals, Suspended Plasma.
- Storm: Aqueous Liquids, Base Metals, Ionic Solutions, Noble Gas, Suspended Plasma.
- Temperate: Aqueous Liquids, Autotrophs, Carbon Compounds, Complex Organisms, Micro Organisms.
Processed Materials Manufacturable On A Single Planet (P1)
These are the basic building blocks of planetary interaction. Their combinations and permutations combine to create the materials of higher tiers. Of these, oxygen is the only material that sees major use, as one of the most consumed generic fuels used to keep POS online.
- Barren: Bacteria, Biofuels, Precious Metals, Reactive Metals, Water.
- Gas: Electrolytes, Oxidizing Compound, Oxygen, Reactive Metals, Water.
- Ice: Bacteria, Biomass, Oxygen, Toxic Metal, Water.
- Lava: Chiral Structures, Plasmoids, Reactive Metals, Silicon, Toxic Metals.
- Oceanic: Bacteria, Biofuels, Biomass, Proteins, Water.
- Plasma: Chiral Structures, Plasmoids, Precious Metals, Reactive Metals, Toxic Metals.
- Storm: Electrolytes, Oxygen, Plasmoids, Reactive Metals, Water.
- Temperate: Bacteria, Biofuels, Industrial Fibers, Proteins, Water.
Refined Products Manufacturable On A Single Planet (P2)
Refined commodities, also known as tier-two materials, are the most useful for POS fuel and tech two production.
- Barren: Biocells, Mechanical Parts, Nanites, Test Cultures, Water-Cooled CPU.
- Gas: Coolant, Oxides, Synthetic Oil, Water-Cooled CPU.
- Ice: Supertensile Plastics, Test Cultures, Viral Agent.
- Lava: Construction Blocks, Consumer Electronics, Miniature Electronics, Transmitter.
- Oceanic: Fertilizer, Genetically Enhanced Livestock, Livestock, Test Cultures, Viral Agent.
- Plasma: Construction Blocks, Consumer Electronics, Enriched Uranium, Mechanical Parts, Transmitter.
- Storm: Coolant, Rocket Fuel, Super Conductors, Synthetic Oil.
- Temperate: Fertilizer, Livestock, Polytextiles, Test Cultures.
Specialized Products Manufacturable On A Single Planet (P3)
These are the most advanced a material can get, with materials found on a single planet. Of them, robotics sees use as the most advanced (and thus, expensive) material used to fuel POS, but is also used in the manufacture of tech two drones.
- Barren: Transcranial Microcontrollers.
- Gas: Condensates.
- Ice: Synthetic Synapses.
- Lava: Smartfab Units.
- Oceanic: Vaccines.
- Plasma: Robotics.
- Storm: Ukomi Super Conductors.
- Temperate: Industrial Explosives.
On Advanced Products (P4)
The final stage of construction can only be made by combining materials harvested from several different planets. They primarily see use as ingredients in making new outposts, POS and POS structures, and other mega-projects. As of this writing, there is a huge glut of these goods, obtained from various players refining their stocks of POS gear, making these in less demand than lower-tier items, especially POS fuel.
Special Note: Shattered Planets
The final variety of planet is the shattered planet. It is not mentioned above, because they have no resources to harvest. Only a handful of these have been found in the universe of EVE Online. As far as I know, the only shattered planets were those created during the catastrophe that opened up wormholes, in the Dominion expansion.