Final Fantasy XIV was announced at E3 2009. The game is being developed as an exclusive MMORPG for the PC and Playstation 3 game console. The game has three city states with the Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa, and Gridania. There are currently five races announced for the game that players will be able to choose from and each is listed below.
* Elezen: Elf-like in appearance, this race of nomadic people in a former time claimed dominion over Eorzea. They are considered the oldest of all the races and the first of Eorzea. The Elezen have a long standing history of war with the Hyur, who they perceived as invaders, but the two races now exist in peace with the exception of the Duskwight Elezen.
* The Lalafell: A small and agile race well established in the trade routes of Eorzea, the Lalafell share a prosperous relation with the other races in Eorzea.
* The Hyur: This human-like race boasts the largest population of Eorzea and have a staggering variety of languages and sophisticated technology. The Hyur have a firm conviction of personal freedom. mTwo groups exist within the Hyur - Highlanders, denizens of mountainous areas, and Midlanders, who reside in lower areas.
* Roegadyn: This seafaring culture are huge and muscular. They take pride in competition and show great courage. Most of the Roegadyn are seamen, but some have become mercenaries, bodyguards, and even pirates.
* The Miqo'te: This group of people are decended from hunting tribes that came down into Eorzea after an influx of foreign fauna. The Miqo'te now exist as two entities with the Seekers of the Sun and the Keepers of the Moon.
Planner Yaeko Sato announced a few of the story details about the game in an interview with Famitsu, where he talked about the gods that would be in the game under the control of a group of savages.
"FFXIV's main story prologue begins 10 years in the past. Powerful gods, known in Japanese as "Banshin," have appeared in Eorzea, summoned by people known as "Banzoku," or "savages," who used the gods' power to strike fear in the people. Meanwhile, to the northeast, the militaristic Garlean Empire has been expanding its reach, using its mechanical technology and overwhelming strength of arms in an attempt to rule the continent."
Final Fantasy XIV launched on PC September 30th, 2010. The Playstation 3 launch is scheduled to follow in March of 2011.