The ultimate test of your Crucible mettle, the Trials of Osiris pits two teams of 3 against one another in an elimination battle royale. Each match is split into rounds. Win 5 rounds and you win the match. There are no respawns, but you can be resurrected by teammates. Kill the entire enemy team and you win the round.
As you can see it’s no easy task claiming victory in the Trials of Osiris. To get a leg up on the competition, read on for our breakdown of the game type followed by some tips on how you can increase your chances of success.
How it Works
To take part in the Trials you first have to have a pre-made team of 3 ready to go. There’s no matchmaking here, so head over to a site like destinylfg.com or grab some buddies.
When you’re ready to begin and have purchased your Trials Passage from Brother Osiris, you’ll be thrown into the first round against another team of 3. The Trials are a round-based Crucible game type; you’ll need to win 5 rounds to take the match. There are some other rules specific to Trials that you need to be aware of.
- There is no respawn but you can be revived by teammates.
- Like the Iron Banner, gear, level and weapons count in the Trials of Osiris.
- Eliminate the entire enemy team to win a round.
- 5 rounds win a match.
- If neither team has won after two minutes the round will go into overtime. A capture point will then spawn at the center of the map. Capturing the center point will also win the round for your team.
- 30 seconds after overtime starts it goes to sudden death. The winner is the team with the member closest to the capture point.
- Super Energy and unused Special/ Heavy ammo do not carry over between rounds.
- Quitting counts as an immediate loss.
Trials Passage and Rewards
Your Trials Passage is like your scorecard for the Trials of Osiris, it keeps track of your wins and losses. Your goal is to fill up the scorecard as much as you can (maximum 9 wins) and then turn it in for rewards. The better the scorecards, the better the rewards you will receive. If you lose three matches on a scorecard, you cannot use that card to enter the trials again and will have to turn it in a purchase a new one.
Rewards for the Trials are somewhat random and also get rotated each week. To guarantee yourself a piece of armor you’ll need to rack up at least 5 wins on your scorecard. For a weapon you’ll need at least 7 wins. Other rewards include Shaders, Sparrows, and Emblems unique to the Trials of Osiris.
Buffs and Items
There are several items you can only use in the Trials of Osiris to help your team progress more quickly through the matches, or protect them from a loss.
- Favor of Osiris – You start the Trials with a win awarded on your scorecard.
- Mercy of Osiris – Your first loss will not count toward your scorecard.
- Boon of Osiris – Your first Trials win will count as two on your scorecard.
These buffs can be purchased from Brother Vance for 3 passage coins. They can also stack, so if you’ve got the cash feel free to buy them all at once.
Tips for the Trials
- Stay close enough to your team to be able to quickly revive a downed member, but not close enough that a well-placed rocket can take you all out at once.
- Reviving takes longer the more you have to do it. If you have a Titan on your team use the Ward of Dawn to protect during this vulnerable time.
- Communication is extremely important. Make sure everyone has a mic, or is at least able to hear directions called out by someone who does.
- Practice, practice. It’s important to be well versed in reviving under fire and 3v3 situations. The regular Crucible game mode Skirmish is a great training ground for Trials of Osiris. Spend a couple rounds of Skirmish going through the motions before heading up to the big show.
- Gear up! It was mentioned before, but it’s important that you be properly geared before entering the Trials. Just like the Iron Banner, light level and stats count. Don’t think you can saunter in at level 20 something and do well. You won’t last long.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Destiny Game Page.