As Daybreak Games keeps the open development of their zombie-survival MMO H1Z1 on pace, the design team continues to try and find ways to refine the experience and make it more enjoyable for those already playing.
In the latest update (that just went live today), there were two additional features added, along with an alternative game mode to play in. Per the norm, the game also received a number of minor game fixes and refinement.
The Building Bar
In an attempt to improve the rough crafting system that currently exists in the game, the devs have added the building bar to make building less painful and more clear for all players. There are a number if features that this building bar affects, and the team has provided a short list of highlights for the major notables.
- The build bar is opened from the inventory panel by a button on the lower left that says [B]-Build or the ‘B’ hotkey
- If you change the hotkey the button should reflect this.
- The build bar shows recipes and items you can build with.
- Items with no objects to place are alpha’d fifty percent.
- The items are separated by categories.
- If you click the red button or an item with no objects to place it shows the items in that category.
- If you click an item with objects to place it starts placing them until you run out or hit escape.
- The items sort on the number of objects to place unless you select one then that one stays in the category frame.
The "Green Dawn" Game Variant
Essentially, Battle-Royal with a unique twist, Green Dawn game-mode will pit players in a very high-intensity, fast-paced scramble to survive as the last-man (or woman) standing. To participate in a Green Dawn match, you'll need to utilize the in-game Event Tickets*. After the game launches, you will be prompted with a game-selection menu where you can select "Battle Royale" and then a new sub-game button labeled "Green Dawn". The team is planning to add more unique game modes like Green Dawn in the future.
*Event tickets are available for purchase in the in-game marketplace, but can also be won via competition in Battle Royale contests.
Here's how the variant works:
- The match begins at dawn, meaning you won’t have the full brightness of a sunny day by which to spot your enemies. Use this to your advantage.
- The toxic fog rolls in twice as fast as it does in normal Battle Royale. This means matches will be shorter and more action-packed.
- First place winners will receive one of three exclusive new gun skins. If you’re skilled enough to get all three guns skins, you will start earning Mercenary crates for subsequent first place finishes.
- Airdrop crates will also have unique skins available inside them. If you survive long enough to open an airdrop crate, you will be rewarded for your bravery.
Additional Update Notes
- This new crate can be earned while playing Battle Royale or Survival. It is on a separate timer from the other crates, so during this limited time you can earn up to three crates a week
- Daybreak will donate .50 cents to charity for each Showdown Crate key sold
Last but not least, the team has made a slew of minor game fixes that should help improve general gameplay for all players. You can find all the details and more discussion on this update if you visit the game's official reddit page.
- The Cigar Hog mask skin now applies to Motorcycle Helmets. This means the cigar hog mask will also have armor on it.
- Fire hydrants have new effects that should better communicate the state they are in (ready to hit for water/ready to collect water/out of water).
- Honey and honeycomb can no longer be eaten when at stage 6+ H1Z1.
- Fixed door and gate ownership bug
- Zombie Encounter music is active and the volume can be adjusted in the Sound Settings un Music/Encounter
- Item stacking in containers has been fixed
- New Male Zombie model and more visual variety has been added to the zombie horde
- Specimen bags should drop more often
- Changed Australia BR Solo to start at 40 instead of 100
- It should no longer be possible to place objects on top of weapons dropped on the ground.
- Many placed items on PVE servers are now damageable when those objects are not placed on a foundation.
- Punji Sticks will now damage all zombies.
- The Fire Axe can now be used to harvest slain wildlife and zombies.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our H1Z1 Game Page.