TURBINE LAUNCHES THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE: SIEGE OF MIRKWOOD
WESTWOOD, MA December 1, 2009 - Turbine, Inc. today launched The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood, the digital expansion to the award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). Siege of Mirkwood expands the online world of Middle-earth where players join forces to press further eastward into the dark, foreboding and treacherous forest of Mirkwood and take part in the epic conclusion to Volume II of The Lord of the Rings Online. Siege of Mirkwood is now available as a digital download with an increased level cap, the new region of Mirkwood including the legendary evil fortress of Dol Guldur, major enhancements to combat and Legendary Items and the introduction of Skirmishes, randomized, repeatable instances where players will train customizable soldiers and take them into battle as part of the War of the Ring.
Today we unveil LOTROs second major expansion and let players enter the legendary forest of Mirkwood and experience the climax and conclusion to Volume II of our epic story, said Jeffrey Steefel, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. The response from our players and the press has been nothing short of outstanding and serve as a real validation of LOTROs position as one of the worlds premium online games.
- The Epic Conclusion to Volume II: Mines of Moria Under the command of Celeborn and Galadriel, players will fight alongside the Elves of Lórien through vast armies of Orcs in a battle that will take them to Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths. This update includes Book 9 and the Epilogue to the sweeping epic tale that began with the award-winning Mines of Moria expansion.
- Increased Level Cap Players will be able to advance their characters up to level 65, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests.
- Join Epic Battles on Demand! Jump into the heat of battle with the new Skirmishes feature. Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow. Answer the call of war wherever violence erupts with the new Skirmish Join function that lets players and their fellowships band together to fight in various locations throughout Middle-earth.
- Take up Arms! Infiltrate the dark jails, deadly arenas and savage stables of Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths, and strike a blow against Saurons forces in new 3 and 6-player instances. Call upon your fellows to adventure into the most deadly 12-player raid yet and face the ultimate challenge the Nazgûl Lord!
- Major Gameplay Enhancements Turbine continues to improve the award-winning experience of LOTRO with major improvements to the combat and Legendary Items systems. Players will experience improved responsiveness when in the heat of battle. Players will also be able to create and craft their own customized Second and Third Age Legendary Items from raw materials and grow their weapons power to level 60. Achieve new Legacies, new titles, and a fourth Runic slot that will make Legendary Items even more unique and powerful.
The Lord of the Rings Online is an award-winning MMORPG that delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the picturesque surroundings of the Shire to Moria, the great underground realm to the menace of Mirkwood, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. For more information, visit www.lotro.com/mirkwood.
Turbine, Inc. is the premier creator and operator of massive, persistent online worlds that foster powerful social gaming communities. Turbine has grown to become one of the largest privately-held online gaming studios in North America. Turbine has created some of the worlds most popular and award-winning online games, including The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, Dungeons & Dragons Online® and Asheron's Call®. For more information on Turbine, its products and services please visit www.turbine.com.
About Middle-earth Enterprises
The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises f/k/a Tolkien Enterprises (SZC), is the holder of worldwide motion picture, legitimate stage, merchandising, and other rights in the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien including The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. SZC has been producing and licensing films, stage productions and merchandise based on the Tolkien works for more than 30 years. Its headquarters are located in Berkeley, California and its Middle-earth Enterprises website may be found atwww.middleearth.com.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE interactive video game © 2009 Turbine, Inc. and patents pending. All rights reserved. Middle-earth Poster Map © 2007 The Saul Zaentz Company, d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises f/k/a Tolkien Enterprises (SZC), under license to Turbine, Inc. All rights reserved. The Lord of the Rings Online, Siege of Mirkwood, Middle-earth Enterprises logo, The Lord of the Rings and the names of the characters, events, items and places therein are trademarks or registered trademarks of SZC under license to Turbine, Inc. Turbine and the Turbine logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Turbine, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other jurisdictions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Lord of the Rings Online Game Page.