Running EVE missions is a much-loved pastime. It is also one of the best ways to earn ISK. Learn about the what, why, and where in our introductory guide to EVE missions.
What Are Missions
Missions are the EVE Online version of quests. Using them is a familiar formula: talk to an NPC, who will ask you to perform a task for him in exchange for a reward. The details of these tasks vary, but the basic types are:
- Kill Missions: Show up to a spot in space and kill everything that moves. Sometimes you only need to kill one NPC, sometimes it's everybody. Sometimes you need to loot a wreck or structure, sometimes you don't.
- Hauling Missions: Bring a chunk of cargo from one place to another. Easiest, but lowest rewards.
- Mining Missions: Fly into a possibly dangerous spot, mine some weird ore, and bring it back to your agent. Simple enough if you're into mining.
A new character only has access to the lowest quality agents, though with time and effort spent running missions a player gains access to better agents.
Research agents are special agents that are unique to a few corporations. Once you get one working for you, it will produce valuable datacores over time without any further interaction. Since the less activity required to earn ISK, the better, these are a major long-term advantage to running missions.
Grouped by faction, these are the corporations that offer research agents:
- Amarr Empire: Carthum Conglomerate, Viziam
- Caldari State: Ishukone Corporation, Kaalakiota Corporation, Lai Dai Corporation,
- Gallente Federation: CreoDron, Duvolle Laboratories, Roden Shipyards
- Minmatar Republic: Boundless Creation, Core Complexion Inc.
Some other factions and corporations have a smattering of research agents, but not necessarily level four or a sufficient quantity of them (you want there to be at least five in your corporation). Unless you really know what you are doing, you should be running your missions for one of the listed corporations and sticking with them all the way to level four.
The best way to find the best EVE agents that your character can use is to log into EVE Online, dock in a station, select the "agents" tab in the station management screen, and click on the agent finder button. Alternatively, you can use the agent finder located in your captain's quarters.
As you run missions for that agent, you will find that your standings with that agent will increase, as will your standings with that agent's corporation. Periodically, you will be offered storyline missions from a random agent, usually of the corporation that you are running missions for. These storyline missions offer much bigger rewards than normal missions and will significantly boost your faction standings, allowing you access to a much broader range of agents.
There are three main goals of running missions over the long term:
- Earn ISK: You need money for ships, modules, skills, and so on. Missions are a great way to do that.
- Research Agents: You want access to level four research agents in order to get the best profit.
- Level Four Agents: Level four missions offer the best ISK for your time spent on them, so getting access to them is best done as quickly as possible.
Run the tutorial agent missions as soon as possible. Not only will they make you a better EVE player, they will reward you with skills and ships that are very helpful to new players. These tutorial agents can be found under the help button.
As a general rule, you would rather spend your time working on your next mission than salvaging level one or two missions, so you can get faster access to level four missions (where the loot is much better). Don't bother with grabbing every frigate wreck, you'd rather work on that mission grind.
Mission Ship Setups
Need a guide to setting up your mission-running ship? Here are some options:
Level 1 Mission Ships
Level 2 Mission Ships
Level 3 Mission Ships
Level 4 Mission Ships
Other Mission Guides
For more about specific aspects of running missions, check out these EVE mission guides: