Loading... Girl Gamers Thrash Age of Conan
Welcome to the 828th Edition of Loading...
If you aren't reading this in your e-mail, you could be. Sign up. Are you looking for gaming news? Look no further for all of the headlines. General industry news, right down to game specific and forum thread feeds are all yours as part of Ten Ton Hammer's news syndication program. Enjoy!
Loading... lost in time.
First, the Ten Ton Pulse, your finger on the beating heart of the MMOG industry.
- Age of Conan - 200 BPM
- World of Warcraft - 42 BPM
- Lord of the Rings Online - 16 BPM
- EverQuest 2 - 13 BPM
- Warhammer Online - 10 BPM
- Guild Wars - 9 BPM
- EVE Online - 9 BPM
- Lineage 2 - 9 BPM
- Vanguard - 8 BPM
- Tabula Rasa - 6 BPM
The clock says it's 2:40 in the morning, but my body says it's 8:40 in the evening. My body is winning the debate, so here I am writing Loading... at 2:40. At 7:00 I'll be attempting to get up, at which point my body will think that it is. 1:00 am. Things could go badly.
While I'm on the topic of going badly, at 2:40 in the morning I tend to get some interesting email. One happy-go-lucky fan poked me to tell me that there is a podcast called, 'Gamer Girls Radio', which insinuated that Age of Conan was misogynistic (their word, not mine). For those of you who don't care to go look that word up, it means "reflecting or inspired by a hatred of women".
They describe Age of Conan like "a medieval times kind of game", written by "a guy named Robert". Then they give you their phone number which is apparently the home number of one of the hosts. Anybody lonely? Next they bust on Jørgen Thoraldsen for a quote about boobs (which I think they pilfered from our site without credit). These geniuses haven't even played the game. Hello ladies, do you work for Fox? The podcast is hosted by three young ladies that stagger through their unscripted conversation and thoughts like a a drunken kangaroo marching band on roller skates eventually convincing themselves that maybe AoC isn't so bad. I kid you not.
First up, if you have read this column in the past then you know how I feel about all girl guilds, websites and now podcasts. If you are a female and you need attention, then forming an 'all girl' atrocity isn't the way to go. You are the ones that cause misogynistic behaviour. You, yes you, the "all girl game squad" inspire dislike of women. Do everyone a favour and stop. You're not special because you are a girl who plays games. Millions of ladies play games. Having a podcast and complaining about a game that you haven't played is special, in a "isn't she special?" kind of way. You don't represent female gamers.
I however, do represent female gamers and I'm here to tell all the Loading... ladies (That's a t-shirt if I've ever seen one.) that BlizzCON 2008 has been announced! Here is what hit my mailbox earlier this evening.
"IRVINE, Calif. – May 12, 2008 – Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for its third BlizzCon™ gaming convention, to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on October 10 and 11. BlizzCon is a celebration of the global player communities surrounding Blizzard Entertainment®’s Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® franchises. In response to the demand to accommodate more attendees, this year’s event has expanded from two convention halls to three.
“Whenever we’ve been able to meet and interact with Blizzard gamers from around the world, it’s been a great experience for us,” stated Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’re looking forward to seeing even more of our players at this year’s BlizzCon and delivering another entertaining and informative event for them.”
BlizzCon will offer a wide variety of activities to help all attendees get the most out of the two-day event. In addition to serving as a gathering place for the different Blizzard Entertainment gaming communities, attendees will be able to enjoy:
* Hands-on play time with upcoming Blizzard Entertainment releases
* Discussion panels with Blizzard Entertainment developers
* Competitive and casual tournaments for players to showcase their talents
* Areas and activities devoted to licensed products such as the World of Warcraft® Trading Card Game
* Costume, machinima, and character sound-alike contests with great prizes
* Commemorative merchandise based on the Blizzard Entertainment franchises
* A silent auction
* More exciting activities to be announced
Tickets for BlizzCon will go on sale in the next few weeks at a price of $100 USD per person. As the event draws closer, further details will be announced on the official BlizzCon website: www.blizzcon.com."
BlizzCON 2008 will be harder, better, faster, stronger. I leave you with this video which seems to sum up both BlizzCON and Gamer Girls Podcast.
Loading... may not exist on Wednesday. The AoC event ends at two in the morning and I have to be on a shuttle to the airport around eight o'clock. I'll see what I can do, but no promises.
[A big thanks to Phil Comeau for putting together the links, headlines and taglines.]
7 new MMOG hand-crafted articles today! 104 in May! 1123 in 2008!
New MMOG Articles At Ten Ton Hammer Today
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Preview Video
- Lineage 2: 12 New Screenshots
- Mythos: Concept Art and Screenshots
- Age of Conan: Guardian Class Portal
- Vanguard: Rogue Ability List Update
- Tabula Rasa: Guide to Soldiers
Hot Content - Or, what I took a fancy to
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Preview Video
- World of Warcraft: Preview of Wrath of the Lich King
- World of Warcraft: Preview of the Deathknight
- Warhammer Online: Flying Solo
- EVE Online: Ambulation Presentation from NYC ComicCon
- Mabinogi: Product Manager Ray Cheon
- Jumpgate Evolution: Lead Writer Keith Baker
Real World News
- Man ticketed for wearing Speedo on beach
Stands accused of grape smuggling, confinement of banana in a hammock
- NY Senator wants cameras installed on all police handguns
Harbour police also to be issued sharks with laser beams on their heads
- Happy Mother's Day: Woman pregnant with 18th child
18 kids? Is it a vagina, or a clown car?
- John "Boomjack" Hoskin and the Ten Ton Hammer Team