LotRO - Captain Class Guide Skills Overview
CAPTAIN SKILLS OVERVIEW
These are the basic attack skills - the stuff the Captain does after the buffing and between the other buffing.
He hit the plate squarely and rang the bell, but the carny was a shifty fellow...
- Sure Strike - A modest attack that has a lower chance of being blocked or parried.
- Defensive Strike - A modest attack that applies an armor-increasing self-buff. This skill is upgraded at level 54 to Improved Defensive Strike, which adds a power return if the target is under the effects of Light of Elendil.
- Cutting Attack - A modest attack that adds a damage-over-time bleed.
- Kick - A swift boot to a sensitive area that interrupts inductions. This skill is improved with 3 traits from the Leader of Men line slotted, giving it a 10% chance to trigger a fellowship manouevre.
- Grave Wound - A modest attack that generates additional threat. If the target is affected by the bleed from Cutting Attack, even more threat is generated. Slotting the trait Intimidation will cause this skill to generate yet more threat. Slotting 4 Leader of Men traits makes this a forced-aggro attack.
- Battle-Shout - A fearsome cry that does modest damage and puts the Captain into a battle-readied state, opening up gated skills. The trait Renewed Voice reduces the cooldown on this skill, and the power cost can be reduced by slotting the trait Strong Voice.
- Devastating Blow - A strong attack that can only be used after Battle-Shout. Does additional damage on a critical hit and grants the use of defeat response skills. Using this skill puts the Captain into a battle-hardened state. The trait Expert Attacks increases the chance to critical with this skill, and the trait Battle Master causes this skill to do additional damage.
- Pressing Attack - A modest area-effect double-sweep that can only be used after Battle-Shout and hits up to 2 targets. Landing a critical hit opens up the defeat response skills. Using this skill puts the Captain into a battle-hardened state. The trait Expert Attacks increases the chance to critical with this skill, and the trait Battle Master causes this skill to do additional damage.
- Blade of Elendil - A strong attack that can only be used after either Devastating Blow or Pressing Attack. This skill applies a buff to allies that adds a small amount of light damage when allies score critical hits. Upgraded at level 52 to Improved Blade of Elendil, which removes 1 corruption from the target in addition to the other effects. The trait Adherent of Elendil causes this skill to do 15% more damage.
Debuffs and Defeat Response
Defeat response skills can only be used after an enemy is killed by the Captain or the Captain's group. The debuffs make that happen faster.
Captains love the disco-dancing, complete with the funky light show.
- Routing Cry - Defeat response skill. This is a blood-chilling victory cry that damages nearby enemies. The trait Turn the Tide causes this skill to stun enemies and do more damage.
- War-Cry - Defeat response skill. A rallying victory howl that reduces allies' attack duration by -10%.
- Rallying Cry - Defeat response skill. An energizing call fo victory that restores the group's morale, with a heal-over-time effect. The trait Now for Wrath causes this skill to restore power in addition to morale, and the healing is improved by slotting multiple Hands of Healing traits.
- Shadow's Lament - Defeat response skill. A strong attack that generates a lot of threat. This skill is significantly improved by the legendary trait Master of War; it does 50% more damage, no longer requires a defeat event to use (but has a longer cooldown), and puts the Captain in a battle-ready state on a critical.
- Threatening Shout - A non-damaging skill that generates threat. The trait Intimidation causes this skill to generate more threat.
- Noble Mark - Toggled skill. Applies a damage-over-time debuff to the target and generates threat over time on the Captain. Generates 50% additional threat with the Leader of Men legendary trait equipped.
- Telling Mark - Toggled skill. Increases the amount of damage done to the marked target by 5%.
- Revealing Mark - Toggled skill. Companions attacking the marked target receive 15% of their damage back as healing.
- Oathbreaker's Shame - Legendary skill attainable at level 39 by collecting book pages. This powerful debuff summons a swarm of Oathbreakers to harrass the target, causing it to take 35% more melee, ranged and tactical damage for 10 seconds.
Pets and Allies
Captains can summon heralds, archers and other assorted minions to assist them on the battlefield, and can expand their entourage within the group by designating one ally as a Shield-Brother.
A Captain taking his pet dwarf for a walk
to Arms - Summons an ally to the
Captain's side. Only one ally can be summoned at a time.
- Herald of War - A bearded human chap who carries a banner proclaiming his Captain-liege's awesomeness to all and fights with a sword. This herald increases allies' Might and Agility.
- Herald of Hope - This herald increases allies' maximum morale and in-combat morale regeneration.
- Herald of Victory - This herald increases allies' maximum power and in-combat power regeneration.
- Archer - This ally does not carry a banner but shoots enemies with a bow.
Note that the Captain can summon stronger allies with the use of crafted banners. See Class Tools for more information.
- Shield-Brother - Designates
one member of the fellowship to be the recipient of a number of skills.
This skill is upgraded at level 64 to Watchful Shield-Brother, which
increases the Shield-Brother's in-combat morale and power regeneration
in addition to the standard effects.
- Inspire - A modest attack that inspires the Shield-Brother, raising his morale.
- To Arms - Shield-Brother's attacks do +25% more damage
- Strength of Will - Shield-Brother's incoming healing modifier is raised by 5%
Buffs and Staying Alive
The Captain is a motivating foce in battle, inspiring his allies to great deeds and bolstering their confidence with inspiring speeches and heroic deeds of bravery and self-sacrifice.
Agarochir is less impressed by the Mighty Hammer of Awesomeness than the Captain had hoped..
- Tactic: On Guard - A single-target buff that increases the recipient's parry rating. Best used on tanks to help them avoid taking damage. Only one tactic can be active on a character at a time.
- Tactic: Relentless Attack - A single-target buff that increases melee, ranged and tactical critical rating. The obvious use of this buff is on the group's DPSers, but it is also good for healers, who can hit critical heals more often with an increased tactical crit rating.
- Tactic: Focus -A single-target buff that increases the recipient's in-combat power regeneration. This one works on pretty much any class type for prolonged battles where power may be an issue.
- Motivating Speech - A rousing speech that increases the entire fellowship's maximum morale by 5%. This skill also affects pets.
- Make Haste - Increase the group's run speed by 25%.
- In Harm's Way - The courageous Captain sacrifices his own body for the safety of his allies, taking half the damage infilicted on them upon himself.
- Last Stand - The Captain cannot be killed for a few seconds. The trait Defiance makes this skill last 10 seconds longer and heals the Captain when it expires. When used in conjunction with In Harm's Way, this skill duo can turn a failing fight around and swing it back into the favor of the Captain's group.
- Muster Courage - Removes up to 3 fear debuffs on all allies within 30 meters and significantly increases fear resist rating for 30 seconds. This skill is vastly superior to potions and the Minstrel's Cure Fear skill, and can be further improved by the trait Strength from Within, which causes it to function as a self-heal in addition to the other effects. However, equipping this trait bars the summoning of heralds or archers.
- Withdraw - This skill instantly decreases the Captain's threat against all enemies within 10 meters, and causes the Captain to do 30% less damage for 30 seconds. Upgraded at level 62 to Fighting Withdrawal, which removes teh damage penalty and causes attacks to generate less threat for the duration of the buff.
- Time of Need - This skill costs a bit of morale to use, and puts the Captain in a battle-ready state and grants a defeat response. The trait Composure causes this skill to reset the cooldowns on defeat-response "cry" skills and on Shadow's Lament.
- Shield of the Dunedain - A legendary skill attainable at level 39 by collecting book pages. A selected companion shrugs off 75% of incoming melee, ranged and tactical damage, but at a significant cost to power.
- In Defense of Middle-Earth - A legendary skill attainable at level 45 by completing both class quests. This powerful buff increases Might, Vitality, Agility, Will and Fate for all members of the fellowship within 15 meters for 5 minutes, and has a 1-minute cooldown, making it virtually perpetual.
- Command Respect - Perhaps one of the most powerful Captain buffs; causes all nearby free people to kneel in obeisance.
With a broad array of healing skills, even Captains not traited specifically for the task can make excellent off-healers to supplement a belabored Minstrel or Runekeeper. And unlike Minnies and RK's, the Captain's heals do not have inductions. In addition to the skills listed here, a number of skills detailed in the preceding lists have healing components.
"...so I was like BOOM! And he was all AAARRGH!"
- Words of Courage - A burst heal followed by a heal-over-time. This skill cannot be used by a Captain on himself, and costs a bit of morale in addition to power.
- Valiant Strike - The Captain whups on his opponent in a manner that impresses, amuses or otherwise titilates his allies, doing damage to the enemy while restoring his group's morale. The Hands of Healing capstone legendary trait gives this skill a strong heal-over-time and reduces the cooldown.
- Escape from Darkness - Revives a fallen target, restoring them to 50% morale and 25% power. This skill can be used in combat, but has a 4-second induction that can be interrupted. The trait Blood of Numenor causes this skill to revive fallen allies with full morale and power.
- Cry of Vengeance - Revives a nearby ally with 20% morale and 15% power, and applies a massive buff to all allies within 10 meters. The buff boosts Might, Vitality, Agility, Will and Fate by a large amount, reduces atttack duration by 25% and increases armour value.
Captains don't get a lot of special tools, but the ones they do get are pretty nifty
Trying in vain to impress his standard
- Armaments - These items can be purchased from the Captain class trainer, or better versions can be crafted by tailors, and they go in the ranged slot on the equipment panel. Armaments improve summoned heralds and archers, increasing armor rating and changing the appearance of the summoned ally. If a herald is already summoned when the armament is equipped, the herald must be dismissed and re-summoned for the armament bonuses to take effect. Crafted armaments are markedly better than the standard armaments purchased from the class trainer. This tool cannot be used in combat.
- Standards - Standards replace heralds with a non-moving banner that the Captain plants in the ground. Basic standards can be purchased from Captain class trainers, and much better ones can be crafted by tailors. Unlike armaments, standards can be used in battle. These also go in the ranged slot on the equipment panel, and the Captain can use either a standard or an armament - not both. The buffs from standards are more powerful than those from summoned heralds, but they do not move or attack.
- Rallying Horn - This can be purchased from the Captain's class trainer and functions identically to the mustering horns stationed outside of instances throughout Middle-Earth. The Captain uses the horn, selects the name of the desired ally from the drop-down list and summons that ally to the Captain's side. Summoning in this fashion requires the summonee to consume 5 travelling rations.