The War Z is an open-world sandbox survival game set a zombie apocalypse. The game will be hosted on Hammerpoint Interactive servers with the option to rent and run private servers capable of holding up to 100 players. Players will not only have to contend with the zombie threat, but also the random actions of other players.
* Survival Horror MMO with entire game world build around a Zombie Apocalypse
* Two modes of play: Normal (downed characters can be revived after “cool down” period) and Hardcore (death will be permanent)
* Ability to switch between first-person (FPS) and third-person (TPS) perspectives
* Huge maps ranging between 200 and 400 square kilometers
* Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player) gameplay
* Unique social elements, including bounties, rewards, help requests, trap setting, etc.
* Safe Settlements: safe cities within the world where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
* Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions
* Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
* Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
The War Z will cost a one-time fee to purchase but will include no subscription. There is a Marketplace within the game that sells certain items such as food, medicine and ammo via microtransactions, but according to the official FAQ, the same items can also be purchased for in-game Gold currency instead of microtransactions.