Posted Thu, May 09, 2013 by Martuk
I maintain that Defiance is a game that could have great potential if the devs can pull things together, get out some new content, and make this television crossover stuff have a bit more substance. The current trend of crossover content has been downright disappointing to say the least and mostly relegated to new in-game Pursuits, a few references, and the “Most Wanted” contest. But we are still in the infancy of Trion’s grand “transmedia” experiment. But they are trying something new, and even though it’s stumbled out of the gate, this is the sort of new thing that the stagnate ideas of the gaming industry needs to help get those creative juices flowing again.
Defiance’s DLC was pushed back shortly after launch to address some of the serious issues that cropped up across all three platforms after the game’s April 2nd launch, we’re finally getting to the point now where we’ll see some new content soon.
We were wondering where melee style weapons got off to.
This week Executive Producer Nathan Richardsson posted a new update to talk about the future of Defiance. After reflecting on some of the comments made in some of the reviews of Defiance, Richardsson teased some of what’s next for the MMOG part of Trion’s transmedia experiment. Richardsson first offered an explanation of how DLC is handled in Defiance, explaining that it comes in three parts: a free update, a paid update, and a store update. And where show producer Kevin Murphy teased some information in a Twitter Q&A earlier this week, Richardsson’s explanation offered a few more solid details about the actual DLC game content that will includes a new race, an open world siege mode, and more.
Players will soon be able to play as the Castithan race, the same pale-skinned race portrayed in the show by Tony Curan as Datak Tarr and the lovely Jaimie Murray as his wife, the very deceptive Stahma. It even looks like some of those melee weapons teased in screenshots from Gamescom 2012 are finally starting to make their way into the game. Here's a full list of all the content via Richardsson's post.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
– Access to play the Castithan Species
– Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
– Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
– Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
– A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
– A unique Castithan version of an outfit
– A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
– Access to New Pursuits
– New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
– Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
– Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
– Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
– Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy
– Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
– Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
– Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
– Select a new voice for you character
– Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
– New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
– Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
– More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
– Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change
No date has been officially set for the DLC or crossover patch as of yet, so stay tuned. You can read more in Richardsson's full update.