Perfect World Dev Diary #2 - The Genie System
The second Perfect
World International expansion, “Age of
Spirits,” introduces a new layer of gameplay for even the
most experienced PWI player to explore. With the Genie system, players
can use a Genie to compliment their chosen class and round out their
gameplay. The genies are non-corporeal entities that can assist in
battle by casting buffs, debuffs and using new and unique abilities.
Genies can level up along with their masters. In addition to increasing their base stats, players can upgrade a Genie’s elemental affinity, with any of the five elements: Metal, Wood, Earth, Water and Fire. The elemental affinity will become important because different affinities will be the key to unlocking certain skills. Genies can have a maximum of 26 affinity points. If need be, a player can reset the Genie’s affinity points at the new NPC “Elemental Ambassador” in any of the five main cities.
Every Genie skill has 10 levels. The majority of the level one skills will have a requisite one point of a certain element. For example:
- Adrenaline Surge requires one Metal point. This skill will make your character immune to Sleep.
- Knack of Qi requires one Wood point. This skill will constantly drain a target’s mana.
- Sandstorm requires one Earth point. This skill will blind targets, reducing their accuracy and casting speed.
- Heal Ripple requires one Water point. This skill will regenerate the health and mana of friendly targets around you.
- Explosion requires one Fire point. This skill will deal fire damage to all enemies near the target.
Genies can learn new and forget old skills at the NPC Elemental Ambassador.
With the Genie system, there are almost no limitations to what you can improve. Strong class attributes can be strengthened or weakness negated. It is up to the player, and we feel this next level of customization will continue to elevate the PWI gaming experience.