Nvidias new mobile platform formerly known as Project SHIELD is now known as just SHIELD. The platform will be available for pre-order from retailers such as GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers on May 20th at the price of $349 and an expected release date this June. Anyone that has signed up to receive SHIELD updates from Nvidia will also have an exclusive chance to pre-order starting today.
SHIELD comes with a console-grade controller and a 720p HD retinal display capable of playing games spanning Nvidias TegraZone, Google Play, and Steam. The platform comes with the following features and specs via the Nvidia website:
- Tegra 4 The worlds fastest mobile processor delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores and 2GB of RAM
- Console-grade controller Precise control thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
- Multi-touch display 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
- Integrated speakers Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system we think this is SHIELDs sleeper feature
- Wi-Fi 802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for game streaming
- Pure Android Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
- Theres more We put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device: 16 GB memory, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack.
Visit the SHIELD website to learn more.
Source: SHIELD Pre-Order Announcement