In World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria introduces an eleventh class into the game. That class is the heavily asian influenced Monk class. The class is based on ancient martial arts which allows the class to fill multiple roles in a group.
The Monk class is described by Blizzard in the following way:
Pandaren masters have chosen to share their ancient martial arts with young fighters in both the Alliance and Horde. Harnessing their inner strength and potent "chi" energy, Monks are extremely capable in every role: damage, defense, and healing.
Monks are masters of bare-handed combat, choosing to draw their weapons only for devastating finishing moves. Monk healers bring harmony and balance to every group, healing even the most grievous of injuries with ancient remedies and focused spiritual arts. And few can hope to out-last the unquenchable prowess of the Monk Brewmaster, whose empowering beverages and unpredictable combat style allow them to absorb incredible amounts of punishment.
While not a whole lot is known so far about the exact mechanics of the class and how things will work out, we do know that it will be able to fill healer, tank, and damage roles in a group. We also know that they are heavily melee based and will be able to heal even while causing damage to the enemies around them.
We also know that to keep a highly active and flowing martial arts feel to the class that Blizzard has stated that they will not have an auto-attack ability. This means that even more than a Rogue they will be non-stop in melee combat, players will constantly be needing to activate their next attack, there will be no possible breaks.
Our Monk Guide goes over the details that are known about the Monk class and will expand as more information is released so that eventually everything you need to know to play a Monk will be found here. Knowing that this is a new class and still under development this guide will be constantly changing and evolving to provide as much information as possible.
Races: Pandaren, Human, Draenei, Dwarf, Gnome, Night Elf, Blood Elf, Forsaken, Orc, Tauren, Troll
Armor: Cloth, Leather
Weapons: Fist Weapons, One-handed Maces, One-handed Axes, One-handed Swords, Polearms, Staves
Roles: Tank, Healer, Melee DPS
- A true hybrid class that can fill any role as the following specializations:
- Brewmaster - Tank
- Mistweaver - Healer
- Windwalker - Melee DPS
- Fights with bare hands and uses weapons for finishing moves.
- Uses Energy as their primary resource
- Has a secondary resource called Chi which can be used for specific abilities.
- Mistweavers (Healing Monks) use Mana as a third resource.
- Highly versatile - able to fill any role required in a group.
- Mistweavers (Healers) can heal while still performing damaging attacks.
- Active class that is constantly in motion.
- Can play for either faction and be any race, other than Goblins and Worgens.
- Use leather armor so not well protected.
- Dual resource system will be complicated for some players, more so for Mistweavers which will have 3 resources to juggle.