Vial of the Sands Guide
Every World of Warcraft player loves a good looking mount. Mount fans on all servers make it their personal mission to seek out the best looking and most unique mounts available. Sometimes going to great lengths and spending huge amounts of time and gold to add even just one new mount to their often vast collections. All for the chance for the feeling one gets when riding or flying about on a mount that you are sure inspires nerd envy in those around you. The Vial of the Sands is one of those mounts.
Introduced in Patch 4.0.1 the Vial of the Sands mount allows the player to morph themselves into a Sandstone Drake that is capable of carrying along a passenger. While the Sandstone Drake is no longer Bind on Pickup it has become no less difficult to obtain. This fact holds especially true for those among us who have to go about things the old fashioned way, by actually farming for the mount, rather than dishing out a ton of money for it from another player.
Bordering on insane, collecting this mount will be no easy task. To keep you from total insanity, we here at Ten Ton Hammer have compiled this handy guide from information sources all over the web, as well as personal experiences, with all the who’s, how’s and whys on what you need to do to nab this mount for your very own. So get ready to empty your purse and read onward steeling yourself for the journey ahead.
Vial of the Sands Source
Vial of the Sands which teaches the Sandstone Drake transformation ability, is learned from Recipe: Vial of the Sands. While a player wishing to make the Vial of the Sands will need to have at least 525 Alchemy to use this mount, you do not have to be an Alchemist to ultimately make use of the Sandstone Drake. Despite its link with Alchemy, the Vial of the Sands drop itself is truly linked with the Archaeology profession. Contained inside the Tol’Vir common artifact known as the Canopic Jar, players will need 450 Archeology to be able to collect this item.
For those of you not familiar with Archaeology or those who need a bit of freshening up on the subject you will want to keep in mind the following facts while attempting to collect the recipe for the Vial of the Sands:
- Once Archaeology has been trained you will be able to see digsites on both Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.
- Four digsites will always be available at any given time.
- Once you excavate a digsite it will randomly respawn in another location on that continent.
- Canopic Jars only come from Tol’vir digsites which can only be found on Kalimdor inside Uldum.
- The Canopic Jar is one of 7 common Tol’vir artifacts and requires 45 fragments to complete.
- A skill level of 450 Archaeology is required to spawn Tol’vir digsites.
- There are currently 16 (up from 9) Tol’vir digsites in Uldum, which contain 9 to 18 fragments each.
- You cannot choose which Tol’vir artifact you want. An artifact will be randomly assigned to you and you will need to complete it before being randomly given another.
Once the jar has been collected simply open it to see what is contained inside. Keep in mind this recipe is a random drop, meaning that it is not guaranteed to be found inside every jar and only a bout of excellent luck will grant you the recipe on the first try. Once you have the recipe in your hands the journey is far from over. Instead a new phase of work begins as you attempt to collect the staggering and expensive list of materials needed to create the Sandstone Drake.
Sandstone Drake Creation Materials
No one said creating this mount would be easy. In order for any Alchemist to create the Vial of the Sands which will unleash the Sandstone Drake they will need to come up with the following items:
|- Pyrium Laced Crystalline Vial x 1||- Sands of Time x 8|
|- Flasks of Titanic Strength x 8||- Flasks of the Winds x 8|
|- Truegold x 12||- Deepstone Oil x 8|
The Pyrium-Laced Crystal Vial and the Sands of time are both rather expensive vendor items that can be purchased from Yasmin a vendor found in Uldum, while the rest of the materials will either need to be purchased from the Auction House or collected and created by the player. Below you will find a list of the materials and gold needed for a player with no benefits (such as the Goblin racial or elixir mastery) to create and purchase the items above:
- 29,000 Gold
- 72 Pryrite Ore
- 120 Volatile Air
- 120 Volatile Fire
- 120 Volatile Water
- 96 Volatile Life
- 96 Azshara’s Veil
- 96 Cinderbloom
- 192 Whiptail
- 16 Crystal Vials
- 8 Albino Cavefish
Vial of the Sands Tips and Tricks
Feeling like you may need a little bit of extra help finding and creating the Vial of the Sands recipe? Use the tips and tricks we have collected below to make this tasks a bit easier:
- Have multiple teleport options set up (Hearthstone, Kirin Tor ring, Potions of Deepholm, etc) to expedite travel around the world.
- Never let digsites pile up. Go to Uldum as soon as they appear there.
- Goblin players will find that their racial ability works and they will receive a discount when purchasing the Pyrium-Laced Crystalline Vial and Sands of Time.
- Taking up Mining as a profession will not only help offset the costs of creating Truegold, but will also give you access to many of the Violates as well as Pyrite, both of which are needed for this recipe.
- Herbalism is also an excellent profession to have while creating this recipe as it will allow you to collect your own herbs versus purchasing them.
- The Vial of the Sands recipe will only drop for players who have the Alchemy profession.
- If you farm your own herbs do so in Tol Barad. This zone has every type of herb in a relatively small area that enables you to cut down gathering times.
As you can see, collecting this mount which is essentially encased in a tripe RNG is nothing short of a huge headache, however, most players will agree that having the Vial of the Sands and in turn the Sandstone Drake all for yourself is well worth it in the end. We here at Ten Ton Hammer wish you much luck and hope that you will have a Sandstone Drake of your very own sometime soon.
Do you have any handy tips for making this WoW mount your very own? Share them with us in the comments section below!
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our World of Warcraft Game Page.