Welcome to the 679th Edition of Loading...
If you aren't reading this in your e-mail, you could be. Sign up.
Are you looking for the latest industry headlines? Look no further.
First up, thanks to Jonathan Blow, the gentleman mentioned in the 675th edition of Loading... for stopping by and defending his position on game ethics. You can read his comments and add you own right here.
It's Thanksgiving here in Canada. Today is our holiday, which apparently is much like its American counterpart. We eat turkey, watch sports and otherwise lounge around with family that we try to avoid the rest of the year.
After much hair-pulling I gave up trying to patch Everquest 2 (the game that you chose as my reintroduction game this month) and moved on to Vanguard (the #2 vote getter) which of course also uses SOE's launcher and also is impossible for me to patch. #3 on the hit-list was Guild Wars and guess what...it patched and loaded up like a dream. I already owned the original Guild Wars and Factions, though I had played through very little of either campaign. To keep my record of buying GW games and not playing them intact I rushed out to buy Nightfall only to find that probably wasn't the best choice as the starting point for a "reintroduction" to the series. Back to the original I went, advancing my monk up to level 5 last evening.
My initial impressions go something, OK exactly like this:
- I enjoy the instanced areas, especially when going through them with another player. I don't have to worry about the immersion being ruined by jibber-jabber nonsense in chat or the random dancing idiots.
- I dislike the instances for the same reasons. They seem sterile and single-player.
- Why can't I jump? I like to jump? Thumbs down on this decision, though I know why it was made...see my next point.
- Invisible walls are frustrating and annoying. Don't force me down a path that I don't want to take. If I want to jump down six-feet then allow me to do so. Don't make me follow the route that the developer chose. We're not playing a side-scroller.
- Instant travel - I love it and hate it. Why is it more convenient to travel with henchmen than with other players? Surely we can be ported as a group to the same place and within the same District.
More as I play more... I'd love to hit 20 and see Eye of the North, but I'm not sure if that is possible in a month. Any experts out there care to comment?
I leave you today with this Toyota commercial set in World of Warcraft.
- EverQuest 2: Troubadour Achievement Abilities
- Gods and Heroes: Mars, Father of Rome
- Kwari: Interview With Eddie Gill
- Kwari: Combat Oriented Screenshots
- Kwari: New Map Images
- Lord of the Rings Online: Bree-land Leveling Guide 10-15
- Tabula Rasa: Ranja Gorge Missions
- Tabula Rasa: Wilderness Twin Pillars Guide
- Vanguard: (Knee) Jerk! (Newsletter)
- Vanguard: Armor Project: Mystic's Armor - Kojan Style
- Vanguard: Swamp Armor Overview
- Vanguard: UI - InfoMap Advance
- World of Warcraft: Maraudon Guide
- Comics: Listing
- Ten Ton Hammer Gallery
- Comics: My Little Pwny
- World of Warcraft Overview
- Comics: Frozen Sword
- Leipzig Awards 2007
- Comics: WoW In 5 Years
- Comics: Not A Spammer
- World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game Review
- Comics: MMO Theatre
Parent of the Year
You can't cure "stupid".
Wind-Up Lamp Is Too Much Effort For Lazy People [Thanks Matt]
The "clickity-clickity-clickity, bump, bump, bump" sound probably gets old fast as well.
Deer Attacks Man
It's farmer season.
Volunteers Break The Law By Feeding The Homeless
Stealing food from the homeless also a crime. Catch-22!
Congo Rebels Seize Gorillas' Habitat
Guerrillas 1 - Gorillas 0
Bush Offers Health Benefits To Uninsured Child Laborers [Thanks Martuk]
In other news, the U.S. has "insured" child labour.
Thanks as always for visiting TenTonHammer.com
- John "Boomjack" Hoskin and the Ten Ton Hammer Team