Countdown is officially described as "an asymmetric objective mode where players have to plant a bomb in the enemy base and then defend it until it explodes." Similarly to Counter-Strike, one team is required to plant a bomb (or bombs) at designated locations, while the other team defends. If the opposing team plants a bomb, they must defend it until it explodes, while the other team attempts to defuse it. If the defending team kills all players on the offensive team, the round is over. The available map for Countdown, known as Midtown, is a close-quarter afar with winding streets, tight corridors and narrow pathways.
With IGN having provided a hands-on look at Countdown, we've pulled together some tips and tricks that might help you.*
- Two teams of 4.
- Players fight over 3 control points named A, B and C.
- The attackers need to plant an explosive charge on one of these three points. The defenders need to prevent explosives being planted.
- Killing all the defenders/attackers - with no avenues left to revive - will result in a win.
Tips And Tricks
- It's the job of the attackers to place an explosive charge on one of three locations - not all three.
- Teams can revive each other a maximum of 4 times before they're no longer able to.
- Similarly to Control, it's best not to rush back into a fight if one of your team is dead. Try to roam as a group.
- Many of the same tactics applicable to Counter Strike work here: securing a kill, while roaming to multiple detonation sites works well for stretching the opposing team.
- Remember that you don't have to plant successful explosives to win the match: killing all the opposition (with no revives left) does the job.
- If you've killed a member of the opposing team, it's a good idea - during their down time - to stack on explosive site with all your team. That way, any fire fight is 3 versus 4 and you're more likely to succeed in planting the explosive.
- Whether attacking or defending, you should always rotate between points depending on where fights are occuring. If you know that 4 of the enemy are on the opposite side of Midtown, there's little value in staying where you are.
*Please note this guide will be heavily updated when Destiny 2 goes live.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Destiny 2 Game Page.