Learning how to gather Silica Pearls and Oil took a while for the early adopters of Ark: Survival Evolved because up to that point everything they’d ever needed was on land, and there appeared to be no way of easily navigating the depths of the ocean. But through trial and error and more than a few survivors lost, we now know that the it’s in those depths that you’ll have to go if you want to get your hands on Oil and Silica Pearls, two extremely important materials used in almost all of the modern equipment you’ll be manufacturing, especially electronics.
Oil can be found in most parts of the ocean, and even in some of the deeper bays. It’s also pretty obvious to spot, just look for the large black rocks with the oily residue streaming out of them.
When you’ve found a source of oil, use your pick to farm it (weird). From most rocks you can get around 3 – 10 oil, with the ones in the open ocean tending to produce more.
Farming Silica Pearls
One of the main ingredients when creating electronics, Silica Pearls are found deep on the ocean floor and in underwater caves. The clams that hold them are very bright and sparkly, making it easy to spot them from a distance. Try searching under rocks and in underwater caves where they can often be found in large groups.
When you’ve found the Pearls, they can be gathered with your bare hands, just move over to them and press ‘E’ . Each clam will usually hold around 3 – 5 pearls.
Tips for Farming Pearls and Oil
- To be able to farm oil seriously you’ll want to put some points into your oxygen stat. Your default oxygen levels will not last long enough to get to the prime oil grounds, especially if you’re not using a mount. Try to have your oxygen stat be at least 200 to have a decent amount of time underwater. Just remember to keep an eye on the meter.
- Underwater Mounts are great for getting to the good farming grounds quickly and then getting out. They are also good for underwater combat, especially since many of the resource rich areas will also be swarming with Megalodons. Ichthyosaurs and Megalodons make great underwater mounts and will drastically sped up your travel time under the water.
- Underwater caves can hold large amounts of pearls. There are many scattered in the ocean around the island. Check back often for when they respawn. There are also usually oil deposits in the cave as well, although they tend to not give as much oil as the open water deposits.
- Watch your oxygen. Harvesting resources in Ark can be almost hypnotizing. Keep an eye on your oxygen levels at all times to avoid drowning. And remember to leave enough air for the journey back to the surface.
- Clear the area of hostiles. Sharks have very little prey to go after so they’ll immediately dart for you if you come into range. Make sure you clear out any nearby enemies before you start farming to avoid getting amushed.
- Eat some Lazarus Chowder. This tasty chowder not only increases your ability to recover after injuries, it also reduces the amount of oxygen you need so you can stay underwater longer. It’s effects last 15 minutes, so pop it right before you go diving.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Ark: Survivor Evolved Game Page.