Riot Games has been touting their Dominion update for League of Legends as an evolution of the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) genre. Today their Dominion plans become a reality as the new update is deployed to a horde of competitive players.
The Dominion update features a new capture-and-hold gameplay mode, the new Crystal Scar map, accelerated gameplay and more. The update is free to League of Legends players and available now for competitive gamers to cut their teeth on.
To learn more about the Dominion update, be sure to check out our exclusive interview with Game Design Director Tom Cadwell and our hands-on preview.
Riot Games Launches League of Legends: Dominion New Game Mode evolves the MOBA Genre
New Capture-and-Hold Game Mode Now Available for League of Legends 15 Million Players
Dublin, Ireland September 26, 2011 Riot Games, the game company behind League of Legends, today announced the launch of League of Legends: Dominion, a brand-new capture-and-hold game mode for the hit multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) title. Now available to play in North America and Europe, Dominion is an evolution of the MOBA genre, with faster action and tactical gameplay played on an all-new map, the Crystal Scar.
With Dominion, we wanted to answer our players desire for innovation with a fast-paced, complementary experience to classic League of Legends, said Marc Merrill, president of Riot Games and executive producer of League of Legends. Now that its available to all League of Legends players, its going to be amazing to watch them develop strategies and dominate on the Crystal Scar!
League of Legends: Dominion features:
- Capture-and-hold gameplay: Summoners battle it out for control of five unique strategic targets, capturing points from the opposing team and defending them against enemy intrusion.
- An all-new map: The action in League of Legends: Dominion takes place in the Crystal Scar, a highly contested, war-torn mining village featuring stunning new art crafted specifically for the new map.
- Fast-paced action: League of Legends: Dominion is an accelerated version of classic League of Legends gameplay matches last around 20 minutes, so gamers can enjoy a rapid-fire alternative to the more strategic, measured pace of Summoners Rift.
- Non-stop combat: From beginning to end, players will enjoy unrelenting skirmishes as they vie for control over the map in League of Legends: Dominion, Summoners can expect an onslaught of one-on-one and small team fights.
- Down-to-the-wire victories: Matches of League of Legends: Dominion are competitive until the very end late-game comebacks are possible and the outcome is always in question.
- Completely free: Like classic League of Legends, Dominion is completely free-to-play for new and veteran Summoners alike. Players will be able to use all their existing masteries, runes, champions and skins on Dominion.
League of Legends, Riot Games debut title, celebrated its first anniversary on Oct. 27, 2010. Since its launch in North America and Europe, over 15 million players have downloaded the game to engage in session-based, multiplayer battles against rival teams, with more than 1.4 million players enjoying League of Legends every day. Built by a veteran development team, League of Legends combines elements of both strategy and competitive action genres. With plans to launch in China, Southeast Asia and other regions in 2011, the League of Legends community continues to grow.
About Riot Games, Inc.
Riot Games is a direct-to-consumer video game developer and publisher of premium, competitive online games. The company was established in 2006 and has quickly become a leading global developer and publisher of premium free-to-play online video games for hardcore gamers, launching their debut title, League of Legends, in October 2009. To date, more than one million gamers play League of Legends every day. For more information, please visit www.riotgames.com and www.leagueoflegends.com.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our League of Legends Game Page.