Rift: River of Souls Patch 1.1 Overview Part 1
Thirty days into one of the smoothest launches in MMOG history, the
team at Trion ups the ante with the first major content patch of their
new title. Rift
launched with more content than any other new game ever had, and the
content team flexed its collective muscle by introducing The River of Souls
patch so quickly. With such an ambitious and robust amount of
additions, tweaks and fixes we will spend the next few weeks looking at
the major points of the patch. We start our overview of patch 1.1 with
some of the biggest additions and fixes, next week we will continue
with a look at the changes made to the souls of Rift.
The most dynamic of the content unveiled in the patch, The River of Souls helps to flesh out the story of Alsbeth; a formerly highly revered Guardian Ascended whoÂs betrayal helped sow permanent discord between the factions and made her one of the most important players among those loyal to Regulos. Not content to rest on her laurels, Alsbeth is up to even more nefarious work with her group: the Endless Court.
invades Telara! This worldwide event for all present-day Telara zones
and level ranges culminates in the opening of the River of Souls raid
The invasion is taking place in stages and revolves around AlsbethÂs desire to somehow corrupt or capture energies from the pipeline that carries the fallen souls of Telara. The first stage was unlocked the patch was released, with subsequent stages set to roll out over the next few weeks.
and rewards are
available for characters of all levels!
Even players as low as level seven can conceivably earn rewards and help to turn the tide against Alsbeth, with rift events and invasions occurring in every zone.
new World Event UI
keeps you up-to-date on current and future event progress. Check it out
to see where your server stands in the fight against the Plane of Death.
Appearing just above your quest tracker, and with a similar look and feel, this interface device works well to help sever as a visual guide to the current state of affairs. It would be nice to see a bit more detail here, but given the nature of the invasions and the desire of most players to keep their interface uncluttered, it works pretty well.
- Quest starters in Meridian and Sanctum offer currency rewards for special vendors, including limited-time items only available during this event.
Located near the porticulum are several NPCs that give single and daily quests, as well as a vendor that offers some vanity pets and class specific rings. You will need a special currency known as Otherworldly Sourcestone to purchase these items. Completing the daily quests, in addition to participating in the world events will net you plenty over the course of the event.
The inclusion of in-game Twitter feeds and screenshots for achievements helped tie the game well to the social media aspect of MMOGs, but the addition of in-game YouTube functionality takes it to a whole new level. Spurred on mainly by meme creators, the number of game related videos on the popular video site has gone through the roof in recent years. Adding this aspect to the game really puts Trion on the cutting edge of community builders in the genre.
- You can record video through RIFT up to 3 minutes in length. If you add a YouTube account through the Settings menu, RIFT will automatically upload videos to that account!
- Type /record or press CTRL+Y to start recording. Use it again to stop!
- Small icons next to the minimap show when video is recording and encoding.
- Once encoding is complete, you will have the option to upload if you have attached a YouTube account.
- After merging your group with another public group, you can now un-merge it! Look for the menu option to Unmerge Group if you were the party leader of a group that has been merged.
- Fixed the loot bug where only the tank could get mob loot.
- All artifact nodes now have a consistent 1.5 second gathering time.
- You can now accept a quest on behalf of your guild even if your personal quest log is full.
- Guild members cannot be promoted while offline.
- If a group disbands after killing a mob with loot that would otherwise trigger a roll, that loot is now free-for-all.
- Fix for quickly opening a series of clickable loot (such as geodes for gems) with auto-loot that would occasionally result in lost items.
- Server Announcements now stay on-screen for twice as long.
are now Raid Rift daily quests! See Abbess Katia in Sanctum or
Raj Tahleed in Meridian. These award Inscribed Sourcestone which you
can use to buy all sorts of cool things.
- Angelic Flight and Mighty Leap will not interrupt movement when used (auto-run or holding down a movement key).
- Fixed multiple status updates going to Twitter during important discoveries.
RIFTS AND INVASIONS
- A large number of new Essences have been added to merchants in Meridian and Sanctum for purchase with Inscribed Sourcestones.
- Tweaked cooldown times between zone events.
- Fixed some instability with Wardstones disappearing when a large mob population is nearby.
- Rift events no longer track player contribution against other players. You are checked for participation in the event and given rewards appropriately. ItÂs still important to participate in as many stages of a Rift or event as possible to receive the best rewards.
- Planar Charges are no longer consumed immediately when starting to cast an ability. They are consumed when the effect actually takes place Â no more wasted charges on an interrupted cast.
There are some solid fixes here, but mostly cosmetic in nature with Guild Perks still coming into their own at this stage in the game. I am glad they explained the Journeyman fix however; I was going mad trying to figure out which buff I was missing.
- Killing Spree and Blood Thirsty use the proper perk tokens now.
- The following perks will now properly show the description/tooltip values associated with them: Lucky Penny, Call of the Ascended, Journeyman, Foe Hunter, Cache Finder, and Rift Extraction.
- Journeyman no longer always shows in the buff bar.
One of the biggest knocks on the game so far has been that the questing is a bit anemic, and while I agree with that sentiment to a point, epic quests have been a great way to immerse oneself in the story of Telara. DonÂt let these quest lines die on the vine or get removed from your quest log to make way for more solo-friendly fare, grab a friend or two and get em done!
- Epic quests now award Achievements and titles at key advancement points. These are granted retroactively so if you already completed portions (or all!) of the epic questline, you will receive these on login.
- The conclusion to the Saga of the Aelfwar is now obtainable.
- The epic questline updates for GreenscaleÂs Heart and Death Corruption Sample are now granted for only one raid member per Greenscale kill.
- The Saga of the Endless: DarkbladeÂs Terror will now properly update.
- The Peacemaker: Disguise step no longer required. Defiants can still get to hide in the bushes!
- The Peacemaker: Disguise items for this quest have been removed following the quest re-work to no longer require them.
Even the shouts of the enemies are epic in Rift
- Updated the tooltip description text for Attack Power and Spell Power in the character sheet.
- Effects subject to diminishing returns will now also use diminished durations on player pets.
- ÂImmuneÂ scrolling combat text no longer appears on characters in stealth.
- Player tracking abilities no longer proc trinket effects.
- PvP Combat: Abilities now only check for caster facing their target at the start of a cast Â they will still land if a target moves behind you while casting is in progress
- Fixed a bug causing some Soul abilities to be inappropriately blocked when respawning after a death.
- Occasionally NPCs would be unable to attack stealthed players. Not anymore!
- Increased the amount of Armor on Cloth items.
Overall reaction to the patch thus far has been positive with most players enjoying both the content and the fixes. Next week we get into the more controversial aspects of the patch, those relating to class balance. Keep closing those rifts and battling back the forces of the Endless Court in the meantime.