HCTB: EP 25 - Winners and Losers Iron Tide
Welcome to this fourteenth day of October, 2014. I’m John “Boomjack” Hoskin and this is Here Comes The Boom – EP #25.
I trust that all my Canadian friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I travelled to see the in-laws. Ate Chinese food and drove three-hours home. Good times.
With that in mind are you thankful for the new World of Warcraft patch?
Winners and Losers From the Warlords 6.0.2 Patch
Make no mistake, this is a massive patch. It’s so big it even dwarfs Rosie O’Donnell’s ego.
As Blizzard is often wont to do, they are pre-patching the next expansion. My daughter’s mac showed 8GB of files to download. I haven’t checked the size on a PC yet.
Winners: Players Who Love Alts
New character models are being introduced, so those of you who love a change and have 50 alts will now have 50 new characters to look at. Dwarfs, Gnomes, Humans, Night Elves, Orcs, Taurens, Trolls, Undead and Draenai are all getting new looks.
Losers: Nostalgia Buffs
If you loved the look of your character then hopefully you took plenty of screenshots. With the new character models your beloved character is likely changed forever.
Winners: Hair Stylists
More “facial-customization” options are being introduced. Enter the “I mustache you a question.” jokes and the surge of characters named Mustachio Joe.
Winners: Dungeon Crawlers
Level 90 characters can enter a special instance of Upper Blackrock Spire, but only for a limited time. But there’s more! Sorry, the whole limited time thing had me going.
Winners: Casual Raiders
The revamped group finder will allow premade groups looking for more players to post a “want ad”. Both dungeon and raid groups can use this list. Casual players and raid leaders who are short one poorly played, loot hungry toon in their group are rejoicing right now.
Inventory items will now have colored borders based on their rarity. Trade skill mats now stack up to 200. Bags can now be assigned to a specific item type (Equipment, trade goods, etc.)
Winners: New Players
Character stats have been squished into numbers that mere mortals can comprehend. Likewise, the number of abilities has been reduced. World of Warcraft for Dummies has been boiled down to Dumb and Dumber. Jim Carrey will be introduced as the new Lead Designer at BlizzCon
Losers: Healers and Dungeon Groups
The least played role will continue to be the least played role. Healing has been made more challenging to play. For a good healer this isn’t an issue and is probably a “Win”, but for others it will mean a much more difficult style of play and that means less healers and increased time looking for groups. Remember all those instant cast heals that you had? Many of them are gone.
Reforging has been removed from the game. R.I.P. Mr. Robot.
Losers: Every Class
I don’t believe this is likely true, but I do believe it will be the perception of most players. After all is said and done, most players don’t like change and every class is receiving sweeping adjustments.
Winners: Auction House Sellers / Buyers
Auction items will now be able to be sold / bought cross faction. Realms with low pop for one faction will now benefit from having an active auction house.
Losers: Guilds Who Leveled Up
Guilds no longer have levels. Every guild has all bonuses.
This list could go on and on, but that is just a taste. Who are your Winners and Losers from the 6.0.2 Patch?
Vin Diesel Fact: Vin Diesel picks oranges from apple trees and makes lemonade.
Now on to something more entertaining…
- EverQuest Next and the Free To Play Potential
- How Many Licks To The Center of an MMO?
- Gallery From the Fall Classic
- Patches Should Be Held Back During Tournaments
Because the real world is usually more humorous than the virtual one. Here are some real world stories. You can’t make this stuff up.
- From the Walls-Are-Closing-In-Dept. – Cabin Walls in Plane Buckle Mid-Flight
- From the Cat-In-The-Hat-In-The-House-Dept. – House For Sale, Cat Included
- From the Shock-To-No-One-Dept. – ISIS Using Chemical Weapons
If you received even an iota of enjoyment from this then please support both myself and TenTonHammer by doing one of more of the following:
- Read my previous columns
- HCTB 24: First World Gamer Problems
- HCTB 23: Strongbad is Back
- HCTB 22: Free Steam Keys
- HCTB 21: Destiny Bounty Guides
- HCTB 20: Destiny Video Farming Guides
- HCTB 19: Casino Cave Closed
- HCTB 18: Why Light Is Important in Destiny
- HCTB 17: Do You Like Green Engrams?
- HCTB 16: Destiny Is A Nursery Rhyme
- HCTB 15: Is This My Destiny?
- HCTB 14: Censored
- HCTB 13: Hype and Hope
- HCTB 12: Irritated by Ice Bucket Challenge
- HCTB 11: Censored
- HCTB 10: I Got Fireflied
- HCTB 9: Gaming Junkets, Do We Need Them?
- HCTB 8: Need For Speed or Gaming Gourmand
- HCTB 7: Every Breath You Take
- HCTB 6: Dear LPBs and Twitch
- HCTB 5: Comments
- HCTB 4: If MMO Fans Were World Cup Fans
- HCTB 3: Censored
- HCTB 2: Censored
- HCTB 1: EA vs Activision
- Follow me on Twitter (@BoomjackTTH)
- Whitelist us if you use adblocking software
- Comment below (even a “this sucks” will do)
Thanks again. I appreciate your support. Who’s awesome? You’re awesome!