I've been anticipating this upcoming expansion to Neverwinter, probably more than I have for any MMO in quite some time. It's not that Neverwinter is dramatically more sophisticated or mechanically intriguing than other MMORPGs on the market. It's not.
It just happens to take place in my all-time favorite fantasy setting: the Forgotten Realms.
If you don't know what I'm talking about check out the Forgotten Realms V1 article that I wrote a couple weeks ago here. It's mostly a story of how I first encountered the realm of Faerun and the world of Toril in the Dungeons & Dragons universe, but its more than worth the read whether you are familiar or not.
The Underdark is Unveiled
I have to admit that the underworld in this particular setting is one of the more interesting concepts in all of fantasy, and this latest expansion with Neverwinter puts it at the forefront. It also features battles right out of author R.A. Salvatore's novels and even gives you the opportunity to fight alongside Drizzt Do'Urden, and a few of his companions.
At the very least you can enjoy seeing his many clones be shamed in their feeble inferiority (you know, all the Drizts and Drizzzts out there who are too enthralled with that hero's legacy to begin crafting one of their own).
All teasing aside, the expansion has added several new things to the game, all of which I've conveniently listed beneath a screenshot of the new region this expansion features.
- 10-player encounter with the two-headed demon lord, Demogorgon
- Adventure alongside iconic Dungeons & Dragons characters including Drizzt Do’Urden, Bruenor Battlehammer and Regis in a new questline, “The Dwarven King”, written by New York Times Best-Selling Author R.A. Salvatore
- All-new campaign including new in-game rewards inspired by the Rage of Demons storyline from Wizards of the Coast
- Mantol-Derith, a new non-combat adventurer hub found in the Underdark
- Two new end-game skirmishes, each with two different ways to achieve victory
- Rifts in the Abyssal plane now summon Demonic encounters throughout the Sword Coast adding variety to open-world Heroic Encounters
- Updates to the Trade Bar Store allowing easier access to items and economy adjustments
- Gear Preview allows players to see how all equippable items will look on their characters
- Additional Strongholds content including a new resource plot and PvP tower
- Artifact weapons can be reforged into new artifact weapons via double refinement above rank 15
- Masterwork Items now obtainable from endgame Professions tasks
- Boons tied to successfully quelling demonic presence in the Underdark campaign
A Few More Notations
Fans of R.A. Salvatore can rejoice to know that he was intrumental in writing the questline for this new expansion.
Neverwinter Underdark serves as a prologue for online gamers to the much more wide-scope Rage of Demons storyline that Wizards of the Coast is running for their table-top products.
This expansion is still slated to hit the XBox One in early 2016.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Neverwinter Game Page.