Welcome to the 792nd Edition of Loading...
If you aren't reading this in your e-mail, you could be. Sign up. Are you looking for gaming news? Look no further for all of the headlines. General industry news, right down to game specific and forum thread feeds are all yours as part of Ten Ton Hammer's news syndication program. Enjoy!
Loading... it's like a blockbuster movie, except I'll never hire Tom Cruise.
First, the Ten Ton Pulse, your finger on the beating heart of the MMOG industry.
- Age of Conan - 200 BPM
- World of Warcraft - 77 BPM
- Lord of the Rings Online - 27 BPM
- EverQuest 2 - 22 BPM
- EVE Online - 16 BPM
- Warhammer Online - 16 BPM
- Lineage 2 - 16 BPM
- Dungeons and Dragons Online - 11 BPM
- Vanguard - 11 BPM
- Dungeon Runners - 10 BPM
A little bird told me that today might be Tony "RadarX" Jones' birthday. Happy Birthday Tony! RadarX currently spends his time getting our Warhammer Online community off the ground., a community that recently announced that it would not have official forums.
Vanguard, a title released in January of 2007 also made the decision to go without official forums. Comparison of these two titles isn't easy, nor is it fair. Vanguard was a half-baked product that required at least another six months of incubation to be ready for the public. I don't for a second believe that Warhammer Online will ship before it is ready.
Whether the game is ready or not doesn't change the fact that official forums for anything other than support are a nightmare for developers and publishers. If you haven't ventured into the septic tank that is the World of Warcraft official forums then hop over there now and see what developers put up with.
Mark Jacobs, the man at the top of the Mythic food chain stated that he doesn't want to throw his team into that fire. I don't blame him. I wouldn't throw my team into that inferno either, if they were developers.
Community sites on the other hand, at least a couple of them, pay staff and train them how to deal with the chaos that is an official forum. They build communities. Game developers build games. MMOG players want official forums. They don't require them. They want them so that if something that they find disagreeable happens they have a venue to vent their frustration. I'm going to let the griefers, dung slingers and attention seekers in on a little secret. Nobody cares what PwnU317 has to say when every other word is a curse except other griefers and dung slingers.
I'm sure that some of you disagree. Should there be official forums for Warhammer Online (or any other game) for topics other than support? The Loading... forums await you.
Do you feel the need to contact me personally with naughty pictures or derogatory comments? Here's my E-mail.
8 new MMOG hand-crafted articles today! 148 in March! 661 in 2008!
New MMOG Articles At Ten Ton Hammer Today
- Blog: The Loss of Imagination - Cody Bye
- Age of Conan: Ask The Devs
- Dungeons and Dragons Online: Kate Paiz Module 7 Monk Video Preview
- Lord of the Rings Online: Tier 2 Auction House Price Guide
- Requiem: A Bloody Preview
- Vanguard: Monster Project - Victol The Priest
- Warhammer Online: No Official Forums?
- World of Warcraft: Instances For Newbies
Hot Content - Or, what I took a fancy to
- Age of Conan: Class Interview #9 - The Tempest of Set
- Jumpgate Evolution: Producer Q&A From Connect '08
- Silkroad Online: Guided Walkthrough Impressions
- Jumpgate Evolution: Video Teaser
- Jumpgate Evolution: Overview Video Filmed at Connect '08
- Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria Expansion Reveal Video From Connect '08
- Contest: 2Moons
- Premium Content - Lord of the Rings Online: Books 13 and 14 Preview Video With Jeffrey Steefel
- Blackstar: An Interview With Garry Gattis and Cinco Barnes
- Lord of the Rings Online: Announcement - Volume 2 - Mines of Moria at Connect '08
Real World News
Killer Robot Shoots Man Dead on Driveway [Thanks Matt]
All hail our compassionate, gun-toting robotic overlords.
Car Hacker's Hummer Gets 60 MPG [Thanks Matt]
...per gallon of gold bullion.
Bear Convicted For Theft of Honey [Thanks John]
Winnie the Pooh unavailable for comment.
Thanks as always for visiting TenTonHammer.com
- John "Boomjack" Hoskin and the Ten Ton Hammer Team