The Colossus is the "tank" of the Javelin suits, and is the brute force choice for those who like to be in amongst the action. With high amounts of mitigation, and multiple means of controlling an encounter, the Colossus is the go-to choice for large scale fights that require a damage sponge.
With the ability to wield Heavy Assault Launchers, ranging from a Flamethrower to a Railgun, the Colossus has a great deal of options for dealing massive damage. Like any Javelin, it still has the choice of two Support Gear with one - Battle Cry - providing a much needed taunt. Although the Colossus lacks the versatility of the Ranger, or the speed and prowess of the Interceptor/Storm, it more than makes up for this in its survivability.
|Fairly mandatory due to it being "the tank"||
|Battle Cry provides much needed control in encounters||
Poor aeriel prowess
|Capable of massive damage through Heavy Assault Launchers||
A much slower playstyle to its peers
Ordnance Launchers offer high amounts of AOE damage
Unable to move and fire most Heavy Assault weapons
An aggressive, brute force playstyle
A slower play style to all other Javelin
The Colossus, unlike other Javelin, can't jump, dash or teleport. Instead, it has the ability to lift a shield by pressing [Mouse 1]. Whether you use it on the ground, or in the air, the shield is permanent when toggled and provides an additional layer of mitigation that ensures the Colossus can withstand a large amount of punishment. The health of your shield is displayed as an arc in the center of your HUD. Once the shield is destroyed, you'll lose it and have to re-open it after a brief period.
Colossus Javelin Abilities
Heavy Smash (Melee) - Who doesn't like to punch monsters hard? Effectively using the weight of the Javelin as a means of hurting opponents, Heavy Smash knocks down foes and leaves them vulnerable to further attacks. Whether you use it from the air, or on the ground in melee range, it packs a punch. What you need to be aware of is that if you use Heavy Smash while stationary (whether on land or in the air), Colossus will hit the floor causing a tremor. It's only if you have your shield active [Mouse 1], while using Heavy Smash [V] that you'll batter an opponent in front of you.
Siege Cannon (Ultimate) - A much more focused version of the Ranger's Missile Barrage, Siege Cannon allows Colossus to clear enemies in a small radius, ensuring that those caught in a choke point suffer massive damage.
Ordinance Launcher Gear
High Explosive Mortar: Forcing the Colossus to remain stationary, High Explosive Mortar launches an explosive projectile that deals heavy area-of-effect damage to all those in its radius. The range is long, allowing Colossus to bombard enemies from afar. Just be aware that its cooldown isn't short.
- Burst Mortar: Fires a volley of smaller mortars that spread out to pummel a wider area of effect.
- Firewall Mortar: Fires a specialized mortar round that ignites a wall of flame, heavily damaging enemies that try to move through it.
- Lightning Coil: Strikes a single random target with an arc of electricity in front of the Colossus, prioritising targets with status effects.
- Shock Coil: Emits waves of electricity out from the Colossus, damaging all nearby enemies.
Heavy Assault Launcher Gear
- Heavy Cannon: Fires a large rocket in a targeted direction.
- Flame Thrower: Unleashes a continuous stream of fire to ignite enemies.
- Flak Cannon: Barrages nearby enemies with a short-range arc of projectiles.
Railgun: Devastates a single-target with a forceful and precise kinetic round, the Railgun has no splash, is slow to fire (you can't move and shoot) but deals huge damage.
- Acid Spitter: Expels an acid projectile to damage enemies.
- Battle Cry: Forces all enemies within a certain radius to divert their attacks to the Colossus while lowering their elemental and physical resistance.
- Deflector Pulse: Gives all nearby allies a damage-resistance buff.
Colossus Javelin Loadout
1. The Colossus is painfully slow compared to other Javelin, but can survive tons of punishment. Use this to bully encounters so your team can deal damage freely.
2. Use your shield often. It's an added layer of defence that lets you soak shots, and can be used while flying.
3. You can only hit someone with a melee attack if your shield is active. If it's not, you'll simply slam the floor.
4. If flying into a fight, keep your shield up and then hit [V]. Your Colossus will plummet to the ground for a high damage AOE attack.
5. If you can, try to always keep your shield up when abilities are off cooldown, especially after using Battle Cry. Most of the time, it's best to soak damage and let your team do the work.
6. Besides your basic weapon, all of your abilities require you to stand still and launch your projectiles. While this takes some getting used to, it's typically because your abilities hit seriously hard.
7. Don't be afraid to be in the thick of a fight. Your use of a shield slam, combined with your damage, ensures you can punish and survive for long periods.
8. Your Ultimate ability allows you to deal three shots that deal ridiculous damage. Use this to clear a boss, rather than a wave of enemies.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our Anthem Game Page.