Welcome to the 922nd Edition of Loading...
If you aren't reading this in your e-mail, you could be. Sign up. Are you looking for gaming news? Look no further for all of the headlines. General industry news, right down to game specific and forum thread feeds are all yours as part of Ten Ton Hammer's news syndication program. Enjoy!
Loading... your first 'ding' of the day.
First, the Ten Ton Pulse, your finger on the beating heart of the MMOG industry.
- Warhammer Online - 200 BPM
- World of Warcraft - 135 BPM
- Age of Conan - 50 BPM
- Tabula Rasa - 9 BPM
- Lord of the Rings Online - 8 BPM
- EVE Online - 7 BPM
- Everquest II - 6 BPM
- Vanguard - 6 BPM
- Runes of Magic - 6 BPM
- Atlantica - 5 BPM
Everyone seems to love to love to speculate about subscriber numbers. Not be left out, Edge-Online talked to Arvind Bhatia of Stern Agee and came away with this,
"EA said it shipped 1.5 million copies of WAR to retail last week.
Arvind Bhatia at Stern Agee told Edge on Tuesday he came to the 250,000 subscriptions figure based on EA's goal to break even on the game.
"Over time, subscribers will drop off and level off at 250,000- 300,000," he said in a phone interview." [read the entire article]
250,000 is an interesting number for a variety of reasons. First, it's a nice round number; a quarter of a million people. It sounds large, but not too large as to make an analyst seem out of touch if the game bombs and only scrapes up 100,000 subscribers.
If the numbers above become reality, 1.5 million copies shipped with only 250,000 people enjoying the game enough to stick around past 30 days then Warhammer Online will have been a colossal marketing success and an enormous gameplay failure. It would mean that only one in six people who were willing to fork out the $50 for the game enjoyed it enough to pay another $15 a month for it. Maybe it is just me, but I don't see that much complaining in the message forums where 'those that must be heard' congregate to protest, grumble, whine or otherwise bellyache about anything that doesn't satisfy them completely and unabashedly.
If only one in three players sticks around that leaves the title with 500,000 players even if Mythic never sells another box of Warhammer Online. Personally, I think the estimate is low and I'm not convinced that basing it on what EA considers a break even mark is relevant.
Time will tell. What is your best guess at Warhammer Online subscriber numbers? Hit the Loading... forums and have your say.
--Ten Ton Hammer Epic Thread of the Day [Thanks to Karen Hertzberg]
Sometimes they're funny; sometimes they're foolish; sometimes they're flaming; sometimes they're cool. Whatever this one happens to be, it's our Epic Thread of the Day.
From our Members Only Forum
Submitted by subgenius5150
Betty White and Pecan Pie
There's not much we can say about this epic thread--it's a visual--except that Ten Ton Hammer's resident rodeo clown (well, he's actually editor-in-chief, but we don't want that to go to his head), Jeff "Ethec" Woleslagle, has a knack for entertaining the community.
You'll have to be a premium member to view the sheer awesomeness of this epic thread. The membership is totally worth the investment. (The thread...not so much.) Without further ado, we give you Betty White and Pecan Pie!
Awesome Quote from the Epic Thread:
"Jeff...no! Bad boy! Put the photoshop away before someone gets hurt!"
Do you have a favorite Epic Thread? Let us know!
14 new MMOG hand-crafted articles today! 240 in September! 2444 in 2008!
New MMOG Articles At Ten Ton Hammer Today [Thanks Phil Comeau for links and Real World News]
- Voyage Century Online: Fatal Weapons Screenshots
- EverQuest 2: The Shadow Odyssey Zone Video Teaser
- Mabinogi: G3 Season 2 Teaser
- Zu Online: Summoner New Talents Screenshots
- Warhammer Online: Black Orc Masteries
- Warhammer Online: Sorceress Abilities List
- Warhammer Online: Chaos Chosen Mastery List
- World of Warcraft: Culling of Stratholme - Part 2
- World of Warcraft: Revisiting Old World Instances @ 80- Onyxia and Karazhan
- Age of Conan: New Guardian Build - 'Juggernaut'
- Age of Conan: New Guardian Build - 'Tempest'
- Lord of the Rings Online: Book 10 - City of Kings Walkthrough
- Vanguard: Armor Project - Flawless Sage's Warding Armor of Hexes
Hot Content - Or, what I took a fancy to:
- Warhammer Online: Top 5
- Champions Online: Q&A with Brian Urbanek
- Red Stone: First Impressions
- World of Warcraft: WotLK Preview Video of Drak'Tharon Keep
- Age of Conan: New Game Director - A Look at Craig Morrison
- Warhammer Online: It Don't Mean A Thing If You Ain't Got That Bling
- Warhammer Online: It Don't Mean A Thing If You Ain't Got That Bling - Part Two
- Warhammer Online: Collector's Edition Head Models
- Warhammer Online: Jeff Hickman at Launch
Real World News
- Man arrested for stuffing dead animals in lockers
People for the Ethical Treatment of Dead Animals Stuffed in Lockers plan protest
- Clay Aiken announces that he is gay
The two people on Earth that hadn't previously guessed this are shocked
- 101 Signs that you've encountered a ghost
#102 - Seek professional help!
Thanks as always for visiting TenTonHammer.com.
- John "Boomjack" Hoskin and the Ten Ton Hammer Team