Chogall, the leader of the the Twilights Hammer and emissary of the Old Gods, will be your final adversary in the Bastion of Twilight. There are a variety of different ways to do this fight on normal mode. It can be as easy or difficult as you choose to make it. Well go over a strategy that will trivialize the majority of mechanics in this fight and makes it the easiest of the three end bosses.
- Corrupted Blood Stacking debuff that increases damage taken by Corruption of the Old God by 2% per stack. Stacks to 100.
- Corruption: Accelerated Increases the rate of corruption significantly. Occurs at 25% corruption. This effect must be dispelled.
- Corruption: Sickness Occurs at 50% corruption. Causes you to vomit and deal damage in a 5 yard frontal cone.
- Corruption: Malformation Occurs at 75% corruption. Causes an eyeball to grow from your back which casts Shadow Bolts at friendly players.
- Corruption: Absolute Occurs at 100% corruption. You become immune to heals but deal double damage and cast spells instantly.
- Conversion Chogall mind controls random players causing them to channel at him giving him Twisted Devotion. This effect is interruptable.
- Twisted Devotion Chogall gains 10% increased damage for 20 sec. This effect stacks.
- Flames Orders Chogall gains 20,000 added fire damage per melee strike and spawns patches of flame on the ground.
- Shadows Orders Chogall gains the aspect of shadow which causes AoE damage to everyone in the room when Chogall melees.
- Fury of Chogall Chogall targets a beam at the tank inflicting 30,000 physical and shadow damage and increases damage taken by that target by 20%. Lasts 45 seconds.
- Summon Corrupting Adherent Chogall summons an add from the East or West side of the room (this alternates) which will attempt to cast Depravity. Must be interrupted and killed. These also cast Corrupting Crash.
- Fester Blood The blood of dead Corrupting adherents comes to life as Blood of the Old God. These bloods must be killed and kited.
- Fury of Chogall - Chogall targets a beam at the tank inflicting 30,000 physical and shadow damage and increases damage taken by that target by 20%. Lasts 45 seconds.
- Corruption of the Old God Chogall deals 5,000 damage per two seconds to everyone in the room.
- Darkened Creations Chogall summons 4/10 (10/25) eyeballs with 166,000 hit points to his aid. These must be killed.
- Debilitating Beam Reduces healing and damage done by 75%. Inflicts 5,000 damage every second. Causes additional corrupted blood. Lasts 10 seconds. This is cast by the Darkened Creations.
Due to the Fury of Chogall ability and the add that is spawned periodically doing this fight with one tank is not an option. You will need 2. Chogall has an enrage timer that while not horribly strict will almost certainly wipe you if you bring less than 5 dps. Healing on this fight isnt too crazy if the avoidable damage isnt a factor. Three healers may be overkill for some guilds.
There are a few tactics that can be used on this fight that will make the more difficult parts of the fight extremely easy. Dont be intimidated by the ability list or the Corruption mechanic, Corruption wont be a factor if the fight is executed properly.
Start the fight with Chogall positioned roughly in the center of the room with the raid stacked behind him. Youll want to be stacked so that the players that are mind controlled by Worship are nearby to be interrupted. AoE CC is good for interrupting but Interrupt abilities like kick and pummel also work. Arcane Torrent is a god send for this mechanic. When Chogall enters the Flames Orders state he will drop patches of fire on the ground. These are easily avoidable and should not be stood in.
After a while Chogall will summon the first Corrupting Adherent. It will spawn at the portals on either the left or right side of the room. This add must be interrupted using two interrupters and should be dragged to either one of the portal areas or the stairs by the entrance to be killed. Well go over the reasons for this shortly. Corrupting adherents will send out Corrupting Crashes which are arcing bolts of shadow that explode upon hitting the ground. Ranged DPS and healers must be watching for these since they will be targeted. They will have to move out of them since the Crash causes a significant increase in Corruption.
When the Adherent dies it will spawn a black puddle that will stay until phase two. These puddles are important because when Chogall casts Fester Blood (usually occurs roughly after each add dies) the puddles of water will spawn 5 Blood of the Old God each. This is why you stack the puddles in one of the alcoves in the room or the stairs. You want the Bloods to be stacked so that ranged DPS can AoE and control them. These are the biggest culprit for increasing Corruption on the raid. The Bloods are susceptible to nearly every form of crowd control, and should not be attacked by melee. This is a problem for the ranged DPS to solve.
The reason for the second tank will become evident when Chogall uses Fury of Chogall. This debuff will essentially make him un-tankable by whoever is hit by it. What can be done is have the off-tank taunt Chogall right as he is about to use it. This way the off-tank will eat the debuff and the other tank can taunt back and resume what he was doing without worrying about doing a tank switch!
Chogalls other gimmick in phase 1 is Shadows Orders. This will be a significant AoE on the entire raid. Healers should be ready for it and use cooldowns if necessary.
Phase 2 is mostly about managing the Darkened Creations. They will spawn in a circle around Chogall. A cheesy solution to this problem is to move Chogall up onto his throne for Phase 2. This will cause the tentacles to spawn in a stack on top of Chogall where they can easily be AoEd down. Phase two starts at 25% and is an all out burn phase. If youve managed to push him to phase 2 by the time there are 3-4 Adherents spawned then you should have absolutely no problem with the enrage. Save your bloodlust and DPS cooldowns for this phase as well as any healing cooldowns that you can spare. If your raid was good about avoiding stacking Corruption in the first phase then this is actually the easy part of the fight.
Nightmare Vs. Cho'gall
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our World of Warcraft Game Page.