Welcome to the 898th Edition of Loading...
If you aren't reading this in your e-mail, you could be. Sign up. Are you looking for gaming news? Look no further for all of the headlines. General industry news, right down to game specific and forum thread feeds are all yours as part of Ten Ton Hammer's news syndication program. Enjoy!
Loading... putting the 'Mo' in MMOG.
First, the Ten Ton Pulse, your finger on the beating heart of the MMOG industry.
- Warhammer Online - 200 BPM
- World of Warcraft - 94 BPM
- Age of Conan - 33 BPM
- Tabula Rasa - 9 BPM
- EVE Online - 9 BPM
- Lord of the Rings Online - 7 BPM
- EverQuest II - 5 BPM
- Dungeons and Dragons - 4 BPM
- Vanguard - 4 BPM
- Champions Online - 3 BPM
Day 2 of the Leipzig Games Convention is behind us. I'm still astonished that a country that uses Mercedes vehicles to haul pig manure doesn't have air conditioning in most rooms. Then again, this column is often compared to pig manure and it doesn't have
I'll blame it on sleep deprivation, but I neglected to mention a question that Dr. Eyjólfur Guðmun touched upon briefly yesterday during his EVE Online presentation. The question is an interesting one, "Are developers gods?"
Richard Bartle believes that they are because they control the physics and for that matter everything in the virtual world that they created. Dr. Eyjólfur Guðmun on the other hand, considers
developers to be more like janitors who "clean up the messes." As is the norm, I sit squarely on the fence agreeing with both and neither.
Developers seem to me to be doting gods, who take great joy in tinkering with their creation. Unlike gods in the mortal realm, these gods interact with the inhabitants of their creation, frequently with less than desirable results. They are also janitors, cleaning up the messes created by players whether they wish to or not.
The Warhammer NDA has dropped! If you have questions get them posted in our forums or send them directly to me. We have access to the WAR team live and in person this week, so make the most of it.
Ten Ton Hammer Epic Thread of the Day [Thanks Karen Hertzberg]
they're funny; sometimes they're flaming;
sometimes they're clever. Whatever this one happens to be, it's
our Epic Thread of the Day.
From our Age of Conan Community Forum
"Tortage - Blessing or Bane?"
and the other community managers in our Age of Conan forum want to know
what you think of Tortage--is it the coolest zone in Hyboria, or a
one-hit wonder that you never want to run another character through
again? This thread comes complete with a handy dandy opinion poll.
Awesome Quote from the Epic Thread:
Because of Beta days, every time I have to play through Tortage again another part of my soul dies."
Do you have a favorite Epic Thread? Let us know!
Guiding You to the Next
Level... [Thanks Karen Hertzberg]
Let there be no doubt; our community site teams work hard
to put out quality guides to help you get the most of your gaming
experience. And now we've got your weekly guide to the guides. Here's a
recap of the information and updates published on our community sites
Age of Conan
- Sanctum of the Burning Souls
- Dark Templar Combo List, Lvl 20-39
- Dark Templar Combo List, Lvl 40-59
Templar Combos, Lvl 60-80
of Mitra Spell List, Lvl 41-60
Lord of the Rings Online
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
World of Warcraft
[A big thanks to Phil Comeau for putting together the links and Real World News.]
15 new MMOG hand-crafted articles today! 105 in August! 2089 in 2008!
New MMOG Articles At Ten Ton Hammer Today
Leipzig GCDC 2008
- Warhammer Online: Exclusive Six Races Combat Video
- Warhammer Online: High Tier RvR Action Video
- Vanguard: Exclusive New Character Model Gallery
- Aion: Asmodian Ascension Video
- EverQuest 2: The Shadow Odyssey Teaser Video
- Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Preview
- Warhammer Online: Five Things You Need to Know about WAR
- Warhammer Online: Public Quests Maps
- World of Warcraft: WotLK Druid Talents - Feral
- World of Warcraft: Darkfact's Beta Journal - The Howling Fjord
Hot Content - Or, what I took a fancy to
- EVE Online: Exclusive Economics Interview with Dr. E.
- Acclaim's Dave Perry: The Future of Games
- World of Warcraft: WotLK Beta Journal - Borean Tundra Experience
- Warhammer Online: Bob Mull and Bringing it All Back to the Community
- Warhammer Online: A Fine Fraction of Factions
- SOE FanFaire: Day 2 Coverage
- Vanguard: Dalmarus' Chronicles - FanFaire 2008
- World of Warcraft: Instance Construction in Wrath of the Lich King
Real World News
Penguin receives knighthood
Newly minted 'Sir Brad McQuaid' was not immediately available for comment
Lawsuit says eatery to blame for 9-foot tapeworm
You'd think the guy would have figured out it wasn't spaghetti after the first foot or two
Deceased Puerto Rican man kept upright for 3-day wake [Thanks Aphi]
Casting call for 'Last Corpse Standing' is imminent
Have you seen some Real World News that you think
Phil can fail to make even remotely funny? Send it in!
Thanks as always for visiting TenTonHammer.com.
- John "Boomjack" Hoskin and the Ten Ton Hammer Team