Illustrious Sage brings big changes and few greater than the removal of Golden Bow and Throwing Dagger. Both items allowed for generous splash damage that was arguably a must-have item for ADC's and Assassins. Their removal will likely have large consequences for Gods that climbed the Tier Lists thanks to both items so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
In addition to those item changes, there's a fair few tweaks to Gods. Arachne is receiving a new variant on Web (it now fires a web forward that she can run along, while leaving a spider pod) while Aphrodite receives a new passive that has potential. Best of all, Guan Yu has received a huge amount of buffs that I expect will do him wonders (he was already good). Full notes below or here.
New God - Erlang Shen, The Illustrious Sage
Passive: Howling Celestial Dog
- Each time Erlang Shen hits an enemy with a Basic Attack, his dog hits as well for 15% of his Basic Attack power, which trigger items for Basic Attacks at 15% of their normal damage and can Critical Hit.
- Erlang Shen opens his third eye and analyzes the enemy’s strengths and weaknesses. When activated, Erlang Shen gains additional Physical Damage (+25/40/55/70/85 + 15% of your Physical Power) on each strike, and ignores Basic Attack movement penalties for the duration for 5 seconds. While on Cooldown, successful Basic Attacks reduce the Cooldown of this ability.
- Cost : 60/65/70/75/80.
- Cooldown 14s.
- Erlang Shen launches a spear that damages enemies (85/130/175/220/265 + 45% of your Physical Power) on impact. Enemies in the dead center of the effect when it lands are Crippled and Rooted in place for 1.15/1.3/1.45/1.6/1.75 seconds.
- Cost: 50/55/60/65/70.
- Cooldown: 12s.
- Erlang Shen transforms into an Mink or Turtle and charges forward.
- Cost: 65/70/75/80/85.
- Cooldown: 18/17/16/15/14s.
- Mink: Damages all enemies (90/150/210/270/330 + 85% of your Physical Power), stopping on first god hit and increasing Attack Speed (+15/20/25/30/35%) for 6s.
- Turtle: Knocks up all enemies in path dealing damage (75/125/175/225/275 +40% of your Physical Power) and gains a health shield (70/110/145/180/215) for 12s.
Ultimate: Nine Turns Blessing
- Erlang Shen Taunts nearby Enemy gods, gaining Damage Mitigation (10/11.25/12.5/13.75/15%) for the next 4s. Afterwards, if Erlang Shen is still alive he is healed for a flat amount (150/240/330/420/510) plus 20% of his Maximum Health.
- Cost: 80/85/90/95/100.
- Cooldown: 85s.
New God Skins
- Chef’s Special Khepri
- Releasing on July 12th, 2016
New Voice Packs
New God Cards
- As Odin kill four enemy Gods inside of your Ultimate, Ring of Spear.
- As Odin kill fifteen enemies in a single match using Ravenshout and Lunge together.
- As Hercules use Excavate to hit an enemy god twice, in one use, and kill them on the second hit.
- As Hercules knock an enemy up five times in a single match using Earthbreaker.
- How Sweet
- As AMC pick up five Stingers in a single match
- As AMC disarm an enemy God using Bees.
Summer of SMITE 2016
- Summer of Smite is back! Over the next two months, we’ll be adding new content every week to unlock, as well as bonus rewards for unlocking a certain amount of items, plus a free Enigma Treasure Chest for every item purchased in the Summer of Smite event! The first unlock will be Rock-a-Bellona Bellona, with Chef’s Special Khepri, and the bonus loading frame coming out next week.
- Rock-a-Bellona Bellona
- Chef’s Special Khepri (release on 7/12)
- Bonus Reward : New Loading Frame – Tropical Paradise (release on 7/12)
- The Item Store layout for Starter Items now matches our previous updates to Relics and Consumables.
- Updated UI elements to make it more clear when you are in Auto Skill and Auto Buy modes.
NEW RELIC: Thorns
“A variation of one of our favorite old Active Items has returned with a new name to fit the Relic scheme. The ability to reflect damage is especially effective on high HP characters vs. Hunters, Mages, and Assassins.”
- Using this item reflects 40% of all damage you take, before mitigations, for the next 5s back to its owner as Magical Damage. Cooldown – 120s.
NEW RELIC: Phantom
“Players can now become a phantom at any time, passing through players and the obstacles they create. Phantom comes with an additional bonus that removes the movement penalty for basic attacking, allowing Hunters and Assassins to be extremely aggressive.”
- Using this item allows you to pass through players and player made objects for 5s. It also grants a 100% reduction to Basic Attack Movement Penalty for the duration. Cooldown – 140s
“By reducing the time out of combat, Blink will now function better as an escape if distance is created, or a re-engage tool. With its increased Cooldown in Season 3, we want to ensure Blink still allows players to use it in multiple ways.”
- Time out of combat before Blink can be used reduced from
“Curse has been a potent Relic, due to its powerful Slow and ability to counter healers very effectively. In combination with other Season 3 item changes, healers have been struggling to make an impact, so this aspect of Curse is being adjusted.”
- Healing Reduction decreased from
- Also applies a 20% Attack Speed increase for the duration
“Scout is meant to be a viable starting option for supports, but was often outclassed by other Relics. With Scout’s new ability, supports can use it as a gold source for warding the right spots. This should both improve the viability of the Relic as well as improve games by definitively rewarding skilled ward placement.”
- Revealing enemy wards with Scout causes you to gain 25 gold per ward revealed.
- Cooldown reduced from
- Duration reduced from
- Cooldown increased from
“We want Sunder to not only be a damaging ability, but reward players who hit the correct targets. Sunder will now provide an Attack Speed reduction to targets hit, as well as provide a more potent Protection shred. This allows Sunder to serve as a strong damage tool, as well as a serious debuff tool.”
- Protection Reduction increased from
- Also applies a 30% Attack Speed Reduction to the Sundered target.
“Teleport has long been a staple of the Solo Lane, creating interesting combat situations when used with wards and towers. With this change we aim to increase the amount of counterplay so that Teleporting feels more tactical and calculated, rather than an emergency entrance or exit.”
- Increased Channel time from
“Wrath is the primary Jungle control Relic, but hasn’t been picked up often by the Assassins or Guardians of SMITE. With the increased damage to jungle bosses and the added Stun, this Relic becomes much more versatile while still serving its original purpose of jungle camp clear.”
- Using Wrath now Stuns nearby enemy gods for 1s.
- Increased damage to Jungle bosses from
- Cooldown increased from
NEW ITEM – Ritual Dagger
“Relic augmentation is something we are very excited to try. Ritual Dagger is launching with a set of stats that is useful to a wide array of gods, allowing for many different types of Relic based strategies. “
- 1850 gold
- +200 Health
- +10% Cooldown Reduction
- +20% Attack speed
- +10% Movement Speed
- NEW PASSIVE – Whenever you use a Relic, the duration of that Relic’s effects are increased by 50%
NEW ITEM – Emperor’s Armor
“The ability to strengthen and weaken towers is a new and potentially powerful effect. Emperor’s Armor will allow for Guardians, Warriors, or even some riskier tower divers to tip the odds in their favor when fighting around structures.”
- 2200 gold
- +250 Health
- +30 Physical Protection
- NEW PASSIVE – Aura – Enemy structures within 55 units have their attack speed decreased by 30%. Allied structures within 55 units have their attack speed increased by 30%.
- Removed Crowd Control Reduction
- Movement Speed increased from
“As an anti-Mage item for Warriors or Assassins, the additional damage from Ancile’s old Passive wasn’t proving very useful. Ancile now provides additional Magical Protection, as well as an additional form of Crowd Control. This added utility ensures that players who successfully ambush the enemy will have an extra advantage.”
- Increased Magical Protection from
- NEW PASSIVE – Whenever you take Magical Damage from an enemy ability you unleash a shockwave that Silences all enemies within a range of 20 units for 1s. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 60s.
“Bancroft’s Talon allows players who are at low Health to be a major threat, but players needed to be in extreme danger to feel the full benefits of this item. Making the Power buff max out earlier lets players use the risk and reward mechanics of this item more effectively.“
- PASSIVE updated – The 100 Power from this item’s Passive will now be gained when at 25% HP, up from 0% HP.
“Early in Season 3 we made an adjustment to Golden Bow that shifted it from a niche item to a mainstay of Hunter builds. After review and a lot of community feedback, we don’t feel that this was a positive change for the overall balance of the game. Hunters with Throwing Dagger or Golden Bow are too good in all lanes at all points in the game. Hunters are the staple duo laner because they need help in the early game to reach their full power level in the lategame. Throwing Dagger and Golden Bow removed that progression, while also washing out the differences between each god in the Hunter class. Hunters with stronger clear potential suddenly saw their advantages nullified. Guardians with stronger clear to augment weak early game Hunters also saw less play. Moving forward without this item will allow there to be specific pros and cons to each Hunter, as well as make the class easier to balance. SMITE had many successful seasons without this item, and only a small amount of time where it dominated the meta. We feel strongly that SMITE’s core goals of pros and cons between different gods and different team comps will be much healthier without this item. We will keep a very close eye on Hunter balance going forward to ensure that there is a number of viable options.”
- Removed from the game
- Removed from the game
“Heartseeker’s Passive was not providing enough power to justify buying it. By allowing the +40 Power to persist for three seconds this item will provide much more of a punch to players who can land many attacks in rapid succession.”
- NEW PASSIVE – Hitting an enemy with a Basic Attack helps you gain focus, increasing Attack Speed by +3% per stack (max 5 stacks). At 5 stacks your next ability cast consumes the stacks and provides an additional +40 Physical Power buff for 3s.
“Runeforged Hammer’s new passive is meant to synergize with front line Warriors. Gods that want to infiltrate the enemy formation will be able to use this item to effectively mark a target for death with a single Slow.”
- NEW PASSIVE – Aura – Enemies who are within 20 units of you and are Slowed take 10% more damage from all sources
- Updated Visual FX when triggered
“Ghostwalk was an interesting ability but attaching it to an expensive Physical Protection item made it very difficult to use. With the changes to Relics in this patch we kept the Relic interaction on Spectral Armor, but changed the effect to be cooldown reduction. Tanky characters can use this reduction to combo multiple abilities with the use of a Relic.“
- NEW PASSIVE – When you activate a Relic your cooldowns are reduced by 3s. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.
- Updated Visual FX when triggered
Ah Muzen Cab
“AMC is seeing an increase to his early game clear to solidify his position as a Hunter with powerful lane clear but limited mobility.”
- AMC’s Basics Attacks offset distance has been reduced.
- Increased damage from
“Anubis has a focused kit that relies on high damage output and pinpointed Crowd Control. With the changes to Mummify and Death Gaze these strengths are highlighted, allowing Anubis to have more control over the fights he commits to.”
- Increased Base Movement Speed from
- Reduced Cooldown from
- Increased radius from
“Ao Kuang can burst down gods in a variety of situations. With a full set of damaging abilities and an execute, it is important that players have some time to react to him. Dropping the damage on his easiest to confirm ability will help in that goal.”
- Damage decreased from
“While this change to Arachne’s Web has balance implications, it’s primarily being driven around improving the feel for both Arachne and for players on the receiving end of the ability. Web provided little to no feedback for enemy players, as it is just dropped on top of them instantly hitting. It was hard to understand what happened and why it happened. This new version will allow enemies to better read Arachne’s actions, as well as provided more visceral feedback to Arachne players. This also adds a skill shot to Arachne, and with that extra difficulty the ability now always creates an initial web trail for her movement enhancement.”
Now fires as a projectile of Web and Spiders!
Arachne shoots a line of Web forward. She is Immune to Slows and moves faster on Web. If the Web reaches max range a Web trap will spawn. Enemy gods who walk through the trap or get hit by the projectile are Slowed by 25%, revealed to Arachne, leave a trail of Web behind them, and are attacked by Broodlings. Arachne can only have two Web traps active at a time and the Webs last 240s.
“Aphrodite is receiving a new Passive ability. Gods were considered for new passives based on community feedback and how the passive interacted with the kit. Her old passive only affected her Kiss ability, and has been relocated there. Her new Passive, Center of Attention, makes her increasingly harder to kill in large team fights, opening up her ability to support as a Mage. It also provides a unique bonus to her safety in that Aphrodite’s stack number can alert her to enemies looking to gank her from the jungle.”
New Passive – Center of Attention
- Aphrodite gains 4 Physical Protections and 4 Magical Protections for each friendly and enemy god within 70 units of her. Stacks up to nine times.
- Now provides 30% Mana Regeneration.
- Scaling on the healing portion of this ability increased from
“Fafnir was slightly underpowered launch, and will be getting some buffs to improve his abilities. Cursed Strength is designed to be a high risk high reward skill shot, so the Stun duration is being increased to make this worth the effort. Additionally, Dragon Breath is receiving a damage increase to make it more intimidating and help Fafnir confirm kills. Also, all of Fafnir’s DoTs in Dragon Form have had their timing changed to apply damage on the initial hit for better readability.”
- Stun increased from
1s→ 1.5s at all ranks.
- Damage over Time in Dragon Form now deals damage at 0s, 1.5s, and 3s, instead of 1s, 2s, 3s.
- Damage over Time in Dragon Form now deals damage at 0s, 1.5s, and 3s, instead of 1s, 2s, 3s
- Damage over Time from dragon transformation now deals damage at 0s, 1.5s, and 3s, instead of 1s, 2s, 3s.
- Dragon Breath: Increased Damage from
“Guan Yu’s is gaining a new set of powerful tools to apply to different combat scenarios but his passive is being adjusted to only proc when at full stacks. Guan Yu has been locked into the role of group healer in the past but his new Passive will give him more ways to influence a team fight other than just healing.”
New Passive – Painless
Each time Guan Yu deals -or receives damage he gains a stack. Stacks are gained from minions and gods. At max stacks the next ability used will have a boosted effect.
Maximum stacks increased from
- Healing increased from
50/80/110/140/170→ 100/160/210/280/340 when boosted by Painless.
- Slow increased from
30%→ 60% when boosted by Painless.
- Protection Steal increased from
2/4/6/8/10→ 3/6/9/12/15 when boosted by Painless.
- Slow increased from 20% to 40% and Stun increased from
1s→ 2s when boosted by Painless.
“Hel is seeing a variety of buffs to help her compete with other Mages. Her utility and healing are her primary strengths, so those are being augmented even further to make her an attractive pick over a standard burst Mage. “
- Decreased time takes to fully charge a stance from
5→ 3 seconds.
- Increased Slow from
- Scaling increased from
- Movement Speed buff increased from
15/17.5/20/22.5/25→ 25% at all ranks.
“Similarly to Aphrodite, Ne Zha’s old Passive only affected one ability in a way that didn’t feel rewarding. The new Passive has a Critical Chance buff attached to it that rewards you for staying in combat. It also retains the heal from Flaming Spear but does not consume the stacks, removing the cumbersome trade-off of his old Passive.”
New Passive – Righteous Spirit
- Ne Zha gains stacks from successful Basic Attack and ability hit, and 2x stacks from Critical Hits. Each stack provides him with .5% crit chance. Stacks are lost after being out of combat for 5s.
- Now heals up to 15% of Ne Zha’s maximum HP depending on how many stacks of Righteous Spirit he has. (0.75% HP per stack).
“Odin’s new Passive fits his lore very well and gives him a unique killstreak play style. This ability triggers from the deaths of allied and enemy gods anywhere on the map, so Odin will be powering up anytime a fight is unfolding. His old Passive still exists as part of his Ultimate, rewarding players for confirming kills inside the Ring of Spears.”
New Passive – Path to Valhalla
- Whenever any god dies on the battleground, Odin gains 10% movement speed and 10% power for 10s. This buff can stack up to five times.
Ring of Spears
- Odin gains permanent stacks of +5 Attack Power for each enemy god that dies inside the ring.
- Removed Magical Protection scaling on Basic Attacks.
- Reduced HP per level from
- Reduced damage from
- Reduce time seed take to sprout from
- MP5 increased from
6/10/14/18/20→ 20 at all ranks.
- Tooltip edited to remove the descriptions related to his Ultimate.
- Tooltip edited to include all functionality of this ability.
“After experimenting with a few different passives for Vulcan we found that the best feeling came from a passive that rewards what he does best, poke enemy gods. His new passive increases his mobility and provides positive feedback to players that prioritize damaging enemy gods.“
New Passive – Master Craftsman
- Whenever Vulcan successfully hits an enemy god with an ability he gains +15 MP5 and 15% Movement Speed for 5s.
Instructions on how to access the Public Test Server can be found here.
To read the latest guides, news, and features you can visit our SMITE Game Page.